OVERVIEW – FERRIS STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 90, Ferris State Bulldogs 84
RECORDS: Northwood (10-11, 7-6 GLIAC), Ferris State (16-8, 8-5 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood earns 73-60 victory over defending national champion Ferris State (February 2).
- The majority of the opening half was tight, as the biggest lead for either team was five in the first 14 minutes.
- Northwood made the first decisive run of the game, going on a 11-2 run to lead 31-23 with just over five minutes remaining. Ferris State responded with a 12-8 run of their own, but the Timberwolves were able to hold on to a 39-35 lead at the break.
- NU made 37.8 percent of their attempts from the floor (14-37), including 33.3 percent of their three-point tries (4-12).
- Ferris State converted on 45.7 percent of their overall shots (16-35), making just 18.2 percent of their shots count from behind the arc (2-11).
- The contest continued to remain tight in the second half as the two teams traded the lead. The Timberwolves were able to cling to a one-point advantage at 60-59 heading into the final 10 minutes.
- NU went on an 11-4 run to give a 71-63 lead with just over five minutes to play.
- The Bulldogs didn't go quietly, getting the lead down to one late. However, Northwood was able to hold on with nine of the final 13 points to secure a thrilling victory.
- The Timberwolves improved and sunk 50 percent of their attempts (15-30), including a sparkling 71.4 percent from behind the arc (5-7).
- Ferris State shot 51.4 percent from the field (19-37), sinking 28.6 percent of their attempts from three-point range (2-7).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .486 (35-72), Northwood .433 (29-67)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .222 (4-18), Northwood .474 (9-19)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .769 (10-13), Northwood .793 (23-29)
- REBOUNDS: Ferris State 43 (13 offensive), Northwood 36 (10 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Ferris State 14/17, Northwood 18/10
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Trey McBride: 18 points, five rebounds, five assists, four steals
- Ja'Kavien Lewis: 16 points, seven assists
- Alec Marty: 15 points
- Bruno Solomun: 14 points (season-high), five rebounds
- David Jelinek: 13 points, seven rebounds
- The Bulldogs had won the last five games in the series dating back to February 11, 2016
- The Timberwolves will travel to Michigan Tech Thursday for a matchup against the Huskies (February 7). Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m.