OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northern Michigan Wildcats 72, Northwood Timberwolves 60
RECORDS: Northwood (11-11, 8-6 GLIAC), Northern Michigan (13-8, 8-6 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Berry Events Center – Marquette, Mich.
RECAP: Northern Michigan uses strong finishes in both halves to earn a 72-60 win over Northwood Saturday afternoon (February 7).
- Until the final moments of the first half, the game was very close. Until the final minute, the largest lead for either team was four points.
- The Wildcats made a big push over the final 2:43 of the half, going on a 12-2 run which included the final nine points to take a 38-28 lead at halftime.
- The Timberwolves shot 45.8 percent overall (11-24) and 71.4 percent from the foul line (5-7) in the first half.
- Northern Michigan ended the half at 41.2 percent overall (14-34) and 70.0 percent from the foul line (7-10).
- Turnovers ended up being a big part of the half, as Northwood had 10 giveaways compared to Northern Michigan at two. That allowed the Wildcats to hold a 12-2 edge in points off turnovers at the break.
- Both teams had runs in the second half, starting first for Northwood. The Timberwolves got the lead down to four at 42-38 before the first media timeout.
- After Northwood cut the advantage to 48-45, Northern Michigan scored eight straight points to get the edge to 11 at 56-45.
- The Timberwolves did not go quietly, however, cutting the edge down to two at 60-58 with 3:40 remaining.
- NMU made the final run to close out the win, however, scoring 11 of the final 13 points to earn the win.
- Northwood's shooting fell back in the second half, going 12-34 overall (35.3 percent). NU made three 3-pointers and five free throws in the final 20 minutes.
- Northern Michigan went 12-29 after the break from the floor (41.4 percent). NMU connected three 3-pointers and seven free throws.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .413 (26-63), Northwood .397 (23-58)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .374 (6-16), Northwood .235 (4-17)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .737 (14-19), Northwood .714 (10-14)
- REBOUNDS: Northern Michigan 38 (15 offensive), Northwood 40 (15 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 4/7, Northwood 7/14
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- David Jelinek: 18 points, 10 rebounds (second career double-double)
- Trey McBride: 11 points, 10 rebounds (second career double-double
- Bruno Solomun: 11 points
- The loss snapped Northwood's four-game winning streak.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Davenport Thursday night (February 14). Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.