OVERVIEW – #18 DAVENPORT
SCORE: Davenport Panthers 68, Northwood Timberwolves 60
RECORDS: Northwood (11-13, 8-8 GLIAC), Davenport (21-3, 13-3 GLIAC)
LOCATION: DU Student Center – Grand Rapids, Mich.
RECAP: No. 18 Davenport takes defensive battle over Northwood 68-60 Thursday night (February 14).
- The opening nine minutes of the game were very tight – the biggest lead for either team was three points.
- Davenport made a late push in the half to take a 32-24 lead at the break.
- The Timberwolves struggled from the floor in the first half, going 7-28 overall (25.0 percent) and 1-10 from 3-point range (10.0 percent). NU did go 9-10 from the foul line.
- Davenport ended the opening 20 minutes at 40.0 percent (12-30) overall and 33.3 percent (2-6) from beyond the arc.
- The Timberwolves cut the lead to three early in the second half, but Davenport came right back with eight straight points to go up 47-36 with 12:49 remaining in the game.
- After Northwood cut the advantage to 48-45, Davenport scored eight straight points to get the edge to 11 at 56-45.
- Davenport expanded their lead to 55-41 with under five minutes remaining when the Timberwolves fought back.
- NU, which had made just one three in the game to that point, connected on a pair of triples in what eventually ended up as a 19-7 run that made the score 62-60 with 32 seconds remaining.
- That is as close as the Timberwolves would get, however, as the Panthers went 6-6 from the foul line to finish out the victory.
- Northwood was 13-36 from the floor in the second half (36.1 percent) while going 2-11 from 3-point range (18.2 percent) and 8-10 from the free throw line.
- Davenport also struggled shooting in the second, finishing at 31.3 percent (10-32) overall and 2-7 from the foul line (28.6 percent). The Panthers were 14-22 from the foul line in the second half (63.6 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Davenport .355 (22-62), Northwood .313 (20-64)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Davenport .308 (4-13), Northwood .143 (3-21)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Davenport .645 (20-31), Northwood .850 (17-20)
- REBOUNDS: Davenport 43 (12 offensive), Northwood 48 (16 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Davenport 8/9, Northwood 7/15
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- David Jelinek: 15 points, 13 rebounds (third career double-double)
- Trey McBride: 12 points, 10 rebounds (third career double-double)
- Ja'Kavien Lewis: 10 points
- Jelinek and McBride have now had double-doubles in back-to-back games. Both also had them against Northern Michigan (Jelinek: 18p, 10r/McBride: 11p, 10r)
- The Timberwolves will host Grand Valley State Saturday evening (February 16). Game time is set for 6 p.m.