OVERVIEW – #17 MALONE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 65, Malone Pioneers 56
RECORDS: Northwood (3-2), Malone (2-4)
LOCATION: Canton, Ohio
RECAP: Men's Basketball earns third straight win Saturday (November 23), claiming a 65-56 road win at Malone.
- Malone came out fast and was the better team of the opening 20 minutes.
- The Pioneers led early 16-8, which was their biggest advantage of the first half.
- Northwood responded with eight straight to tie the game but were unable to take the lead at any point of the half.
- MU finishes the half with a 34-28 advantage at the break.
- Malone had a strong shooting half in the opening 20 minutes, going 15-27 from the floor (55.6 percent).
- Northwood ended at 45.2 percent (14-31) but missed all nine of their 3-point attempts.
- The key stretch of the game started with Malone matching their biggest lead of the game – MU led 41-32 with 17:23 remaining.
- That is when NU took over on both ends of the floor. The Timberwolves scored 21 consecutive points in a stretch of 6:58. That turned a nine-point deficit into a 53-41 lead with 10:25 remaining.
- The Pioneers remained competitive the remainder of the game, getting the lead down to five at 59-54 with less than two minutes remaining.
- NU went 4-4 from the foul line in the final 26 seconds to earn the win.
- Northwood's defense stepped up in the second half, holding Malone to just 25.0 percent from the floor (6-24). The Pioneers also went just 1-10 from beyond the arc.
- The Timberwolves shot 42.4 percent overall in the half (14-33) while connecting on 8-9 from the foul line.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Malone .412 (21-51), Northwood .438 (28-64)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Malone .188 (3-16), Northwood .063 (1-16)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Malone .733 (11-15), Northwood .667 (8-12)
- REBOUNDS: Malone 43 (Nine offensive), Northwood 30 (Five offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Malone 11/22, Northwood 11/9
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Malone 36, Northwood 50
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Malone 13, Northwood 24
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Malone 8, Northwood 5
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Malone 5, Northwood 8
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Trey McBride: 22 points, seven rebounds, six assists, four steals
- Ja'Kavien Lewis: 20 points, six rebounds, three steals
- The Timberwolves will host Cedarville Tuesday (November 26). Game time is set for 6 p.m.