OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 53, Northern Michigan Wildcats 50
RECORDS: Northwood (5-2, 1-0 GLIAC), Northern Michigan (3-4, 0-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Berry Events Center – Marquette, Mich.
RECAP: Men's Basketball wins its fifth straight game, opening Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) play with a 53-50 victory at Northern Michigan Thursday night (December 5).
- The tone for the defensive opening half was set right away, as neither team scored in the opening two minutes of the game.
- Northern Michigan scored the first seven points of the game to take their biggest lead of the half.
- With the Wildcats leading 17-11 at the 8:52 mark, Timberwolves got rolling on both sides of the court
- NU held the Wildcats scoreless over the next 6:46, during which the Timberwolves out-scored NMU 13-0 to go up 24-17.
- Northwood ended up with a 26-22 lead at halftime.
- The Timberwolves ended the first half shooting 42.3 percent overall (11-26) while going 3-8 from 3-point range (37.5 percent).
- Northern Michigan went 10-26 from the floor (38.5 percent) and was 1-10 from beyond the arc (10.0 percent).
- The game remained close throughout the final 20 minutes as well – the largest lead of the second half proved to be five points.
- That biggest lead came at the 3:47 mark, when the Timberwolves were up 49-47.
- NMU got the lead down to two at 50-48 with under 30 seconds remaining, but that is as close as the Wildcats would get.
- Northwood made 3-4 from the foul line in the final moments to close out the win.
- The Timberwolves finished the second half shooting 36.0 percent overall (9-25) despite missing all five of their 3-point attempts in the final 20 minutes.
- NMU ended the second half at 30.3 percent (10-33) while going 2-13 from 3-point range.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .339 (20-59), Northwood .392 (20-51)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .130 (3-13), Northwood .231 (3-13)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .583 (7-12), Northwood .588 (10-17)
- REBOUNDS: Northern Michigan 36 (Eight offensive), Northwood 32 (Three offensive)
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Northern Michigan 26, Northwood 30
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 12, Northwood 12
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Northern Michigan 11, Northwood 2
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Trey McBride: 12 points, four rebounds
- Ja'Kavien Lewis: Four points, 10 rebounds
- Jack Ammerman: Nine points
- The win for the Timberwolves snapped a five-game losing streak at Northern Michigan. The last win for Northwood in Marquette came February 1, 2014. Current NU assistant coach Darvin Ham scored 14 points in that game.
- This marks the second five game winning streak for Northwood since the 2013-14 season. The other five game winning streak came two seasons ago (January 11-27).
- The Timberwolves will travel to Michigan Tech Saturday (December 7) to open GLIAC play. Game time is set for 2 p.m.