OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 74, Lake Superior State Lakers 69
RECORDS: Northwood (8-7, 3-4 GLIAC), Lake Superior State (6-9, 3-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood men's basketball finishes game strong in 74-69 win over Lake Superior State Saturday (January 11).
- The wild opening half started with a big Northwood run and finished with a big Lake Superior State push.
- The Timberwolves came out strong on both ends of the floor, scoring the opening 16 points of the game in the first 4:45 of the game.
- LSSU was the better team the remainder of the half, out-scoring Northwood 43-28 the rest of the way to make the score 44-43 at the break.
- After missing their first five shots of the game, the Lakers went 14-17 the remainder of the half to finish at 63.6 from the floor (14-22). LSSU went 5-8 from 3-point range (62.5 percent).
- Northwood had a good half offensively as well, shooting 17-30 overall (56.7 percent) while going 6-11 from beyond the arc (54.5 percent).
- Lake Superior State took their first lead of the game at 54-52 with 13:53 remaining.
- The teams stayed close the remainder of the way, with the largest lead for either team in the second half standing at six points.
- NU led 68-62 with 3:56 remaining when the Lakers responded with five straight points to cut the lead to one.
- The Timberwolves got a couple of big plays from Trey McBride that keyed the win. He ended the Laker run with a basket to make the lead three. McBride then had a steal with the lead still at three.
- Northwood's Trevor Davis went 4-4 from the foul line in the final 17 seconds to close out the win.
- Both offenses regressed in the second half – NU shot 13-32 from the floor (40.6 percent) while missing all six of their 3-point attempts.
- LSSU went 9-24 overall (37.5 percent) and 2-11 from beyond the arc (36.8 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .500 (23-46), Northwood .484 (30-62)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .368 (7-19), Northwood .353 (6-17)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .842 (16-19), Northwood .667 (8-12)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Superior State 27 (Two offensive), Northwood 31 (Nine offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 11/15, Northwood 13/9
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Lake Superior State 30, Northwood 46
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 9, Northwood 21
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Lake Superior State 2, Northwood 8
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Maurion Scott: 19 points (career-high), four rebounds
- Trey McBride: 14 points, nine reobunds, five assists, five steals
- Ja'Kavien Lewis/Trevor Davis: 12 points each
- David Jelinek: 10 points, 5-6 from the floor
- The Timberwolves will travel to Grand Valley State Thursday night (January 16). Game time is set for 8 p.m.