OVERVIEW – ASHLAND
SCORE: Ashland Eagles 80, Northwood Timberwolves 71
RECORDS: Northwood (8-10, 3-7 GLIAC), Ashland (9-9, 2-8 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Kates Gymnasium – Ashland, Ohio
RECAP: Ashland defeats Northwood men's basketball 80-71 in a game of contrasting halves Thursday night (January 23).
- The defenses were the story of the low-scoring opening half.
- Northwood led by four early (10-6) when the Eagles scored eight straight to go up 14-10.
- A Jack Ammerman 3-pointer at the 10:43 mark gave Northwood a 17-14 lead when the NU offense went ice cold.
- The Timberwolves did not score another point for nearly five minutes of game time, during which the Eagles scored 12 straight to go up 26-17.
- NU responded down the stretch, scoring eight straight points in the next 3:21 to get within one.
- Ashland hit a triple in the final seconds to take a 29-25 lead at halftime.
- Both teams struggled shooting in the opening half – Northwood ended the opening 20 minutes going 9-29 overall (31.0 percent).
- Ashland finished the first half at 28.1 percent overall (9-32).
- After all the struggles in the first half, both teams offenses got rolling after the break.
- NU got the lead down to one at 41-40 at the 15:45 mark, but that proved to be as close as the Timberwolves would get.
- The Eagles went on an 11-0 run to take a 12 point lead (52-40) with 11:30 to go.
- Northwood got no closer than seven the remainder of the way.
- The Eagles were 15-25 from the floor (60.0 percent) while going 18-22 from the foul line (81.8 percent).
- Northwood's offense was also much better after the break, finishing at 58.1 percent in the second half (18-31). NU also was 6-13 from 3-point range (46.2 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ashland .421 (24-57), Northwood .450 (27-60)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ashland .444 (8-18), Northwood .409 (9-22)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ashland .800 (24-30), Northwood .667 (8-12)
- REBOUNDS: Ashland 36 (14 offensive), Northwood 33 (11 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Ashland 15/10, Northwood 10/14
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Ashland 30, Northwood 32
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Ashland 11, Northwood 10
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Ashland 8, Northwood 10
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Trey McBride: 16 points, four rebounds three assists
- Ammerman: 14 points, 5-9 from the floor, 4-7 from 3-point range
- Evan Lowden: 13 points (career-high), 5-8 from the floor, 3-5 from 3-point range
- The Timberwolves will travel to Wayne State Saturday (January 25). Game time is set for 3 p.m.