OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 76, Northern Michigan Wildcats 64
RECORDS: Northwood (11-10, 6-7 GLIAC), Northern Michigan (10-11, 7-6 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood men's basketball extends its winning streak to three games with a 76-64 win over Northern Michigan Saturday afternoon (February 1).
- The Wildcats held the lead the majority of the first half, leading seven on four separate occasions before taking their biggest lead of the day at 34-25.
- Northwood finished the half strong, scoring 10 of the final 13 points to make the score 37-35 at the break.
- Northern Michigan held a big advantage in the first half in field goal percentage, going 14-20 overall (70.0 percent) while going 4-7 from 3-point range (57.1 percent).
- Northwood ended the half at 42.4 percent (14-33) overall and 3-8 from 3-point range (37.5 percent).
- The key to Northwood staying close was turnovers and offensive rebounds – NU had six fewer turnovers (9-3) and six more offensive rebounds (7-1), allowing the Timberwolves to get off 13 more field goal attempts. Northwood held a 6-0 edge in second chance points and 18-3 lead in points off turnovers in the first half.
- The Timberwolves scored the first six points of the half to take the lead for good at 41-37.
- The margin stayed between two and four points all the way until the 9:09 mark when NU went on the key run of the game, scoring 11 of 13 points to go up 65-54 with 7:25 remaining.
- NMU got no closer than eight the remainder of the game.
- Northern Michigan's shooting percentage came back in the second half, as the Wildcats went 11-30 from the floor (36.7 percent) overall and 2-11 from beyond the arc.
- Northwood ended the second half at 45.5 percent (15-33). NU did have a strong half at the foul line, connecting on nine of 10 attempts.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .500 (25-50), Northwood .439 (29-66)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .333 (6-18), Northwood .357 (5-14)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .615 (8-13), Northwood .722 (13-18)
- REBOUNDS: Northern Michigan 35 (Four offensive), Northwood 34 (11 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 8/15, Northwood 12/4
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Northern Michigan 30, Northwood 44
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 3, Northwood 28
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Northern Michigan 2, Northwood 10
- BENCH POINTS: Northern Michigan 20, Northwood 9
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Ja'Kavien Lewis: 21 points, five rebounds, four assists
- Trey McBride: 17 points, 10 rebounds
- David Jelinek: 13 points
- Jack Ammerman: 11 points
- The Timberwolves will travel to Lake Superior State Thursday night (February 6). Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.