OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 68, Lake Superior State Lakers 60
RECORDS: Northwood (12-10, 7-7 GLIAC), Lake Superior State (9-13, 6-8 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Cooper Gymnasium – Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood men's basketball makes the final push in a game of runs, defeating Lake Superior State 68-60 Thursday night (February 6)
- The opening 20 minutes featured big runs for both teams, starting early in favor of the Lakers.
- LSSU earned leads of 17-9 and 19-15 before Northwood controlled the final nine minutes of the half.
- NU out-scored the Lakers 16-2 in just over four minutes to go up 31-21.
- Northwood eventually led 34-29 at the break.
- The Timberwolves had a strong half shooting, going 13-25 overall (52.0 percent). while going 6-13 from 3-point range (46.2 percent).
- The Lakers ended the half at 38.5 percent overall (10-26) and 4-10 from 3-point range (40.0 percent).
- The Timberwolves got the lead to seven early in the second half when the Lakers made a big run.
- LSSU scored 22 of the next 29 points to turn their seven point deficit into a 51-43 lead with 11:15 remaining.
- Northwood responded with a 10-2 run of their own to level the score at 53-53 with under seven minutes remaining.
- The margin remained with three points until the final minutes of the game when the Timberwolves made the final run of the contest to earn the win.
- The score was tied 58-58 with just over two minutes remaining when NU netted 10 straight points in just 1:32 seconds, giving Northwood a 68-58 lead with 29 seconds remaining.
- LSSU got no closer than eight in the final seconds.
- Northwood fell back to 38.5 percent (10-26) overall from the floor. NU was 1-6 from 3-point range in the half (16.7 percent).
- LSSU ended the half at 36.1 percent (13-36) overall and 2-13 from 3-point range (15.4 percent).
- The foul line was a big part of the second half – the Timberwolves went 13-17 (76.5 percent) while the Lakers were 3-9 (33.3 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .371 (23-62), Northwood .451 (23-51)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .261 (6-23), Northwood .368 (7-19)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .500 (8-16), Northwood .750 (15-20)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Superior State 26 (Eight offensive), Northwood 42 (Nine offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 13/8, Northwood 9/20
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Lake Superior State 34, Northwood 32
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 16, Northwood 6
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Lake Superior State 8, Northwood 5
- BENCH POINTS: Lake Superior State 15, Northwood 28
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Evan Lowden: 22 points (career-high), 6-9 from the floor, 2-4 from 3-point range, 8-9 from the foul line. Scored 17 points in the second half
- Trey McBride: 11 points, seven rebounds
- Jack Ammerman: 10 points
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Northwood has now won four straight games
- The Timberwolves also have now won four straight over Lake Superior State. LSSU had won the previous five meetings prior to that.
- The Timberwolves will travel to #17 Ferris State Saturday (February 8). Game time is set for 1 p.m.