OVERVIEW – #18 GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 67, Grand Valley State Lakers 64
RECORDS: Northwood (14-11, 9-8 GLIAC), Grand Valley State (20-5, 13-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Gymnasium – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood men's basketball picks up their second win against a ranked team in a week, this time downing No. 18 GVSU 67-64 Saturday night (February 15).
- Grand Valley State got off to a good start, leading by as many as eight in the opening 10 minutes.
- NU responded with a 15-0 run to go up 25-20 with four minutes remaining.
- NU eventually led 27-26 at the break.
- Northwood ended the opening half at 44.0 percent overall (11-25) but did go 5-7 from 3-point range (71.4 percent).
- GVSU also went 11-25 from the floor (44.0 percent) while going 2-5 from 3-point range (40.0 percent).
- After an evenly-played start to the second half, GVSU made push to go up seven at 47-40.
- Northwood rallied back once again, going back on top 56-51 with 5:25 remaining.
- The Lakers got within one point three separate times but were unable to take the lead in the final minutes.
- NU went 6-6 from the foul line in the final 41 seconds of the game to earn the win.
- Northwood's offense got better in the second half, shooting 54.2 percent overall (13-24) and 6-9 from beyond the arc (66.7 percent).
- Grand Valley State ended the half at 50.0 percent overall (13-26) and 2-7 from the 3-point line (28.6 percent). The Lakers went 10-10 from the foul line.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .471 (24-51), Northwood .490 (24-49)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .333 (4-12), Northwood .688 (11-16)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .706 (13-17), Northwood .615 (8-13)
- REBOUNDS: Grand Valley State 22 (Four offensive), Northwood 31 (11 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 8/11, Northwood 15/13
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Grand Valley State 34, Northwood 24
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 10, Northwood 12
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Grand Valley State 7, Northwood 8
- BENCH POINTS: Grand Valley State 3, Northwood 30
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Evan Lowden: 19 points, 5-6 from the floor, 3-4 from 3-point range
- Trey McBride: 13 points, five rebounds, five assists, two steals
- Maurion Scott/Jack Ammerman: 12 points each
- Northwood defeated No. 17 Ferris State 87-81 last Saturday.
- The Timberwolves will host Wayne State Thursday night (February 20). Game time is set for 8 p.m.