OVERVIEW – MICHIGAN TECH (GLIAC TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIP)
SCORE: #3 Michigan Tech Huskies 68, #4 Northwood Timberwolves 57
RECORDS: Northwood (18-13), Michigan Tech (23-8)
LOCATION: GVSU Fieldhouse Arena – Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: Third-seeded Michigan Tech takes over in the final minutes to win the GLIAC Tournament Championship 68-57 over No. 4 Northwood Sunday (March 8).
- In what proved to be a theme for the day, Michigan Tech made a push late in the first half to break open an extremely close contest.
- With less than four minutes to go in the half, MTU led 22-20. The largest lead for either team was five points.
- MTU scored nine of the next 11 points to go up 31-22 before a last-second Trey McBride 3-pointer made the score 31-25 at the break.
- Northwood struggled on offense in the half, going 8-29 overall from the floor (27.6 percent) and 4-11 from 3-point range (36.4 percent).
- Michigan Tech ended the half at 42.9 percent (12-28) and 2-9 from beyond the arc (22.2 percent).
- Both teams went 5-6 from the foul line in the half.
- NU got off to a great start in the second half, scoring the first nine points in the opening 3:28 to take a 34-31 lead.
- The game remained tight with each team holding multiple leads and the biggest advantage standing at five until the final three minutes of the game.
- Northwood led 53-51 five minutes remaining when MTU's Kyle Monroe, the GLIAC Player of the Year, took over to take the title.
- During a 17-4 run to end the game, Monroe scored 15 points while going 3-3 from the floor, 1-1 from 3-point range and 8-9 from the foul line in just over four minutes.
- The first double-digit lead of the game came with 42 seconds remaining.
- Northwood was better in the second half on offense, going 11-25 overall (44.0 percent)
- Michigan Tech also picked things up on offense, finishing the half at 50.0 percent overall (10-20) and from 3-point range (3-6) while making 14-15 from the foul line (93.3 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .458 (22-48), Northwood .352 (19-54)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .333 (5-15), Northwood .316 (6-19)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .905 (19-21), Northwood .722 (13-18)
- REBOUNDS: Michigan Tech 29 (Four offensive), Northwood 34 (10 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Michigan Tech 13/9, Northwood 5/11
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Michigan Tech 24, Northwood 24
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Michigan Tech 11, Northwood 12
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Michigan Tech 2, Northwood 6
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- McBride: 18 points, six rebounds, three steals
- Jack Ammerman: 11 points
- David Jelinek: 11 points, eight rebounds
- This was the second time in school history that Northwood has reached the GLIAC Tournament Final. Both times Northwood has lost to Michigan Tech (2002, 2020).
- At the conclusion of today's game, Ammerman and McBride were each named to the All-Tournament team.
- The Timberwolves have completed their 2019-20 season.