OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORE: Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 62, Northwood Timberwolves 56
RECORDS: Northwood (4-3, 4-3 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley (2-5, 2-5 GLIAC)
LOCATION: O'Neil Arena – University Center, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood men's basketball posts big second-half rally but comes up short in 62-56 loss at Saginaw Valley Tuesday night (January 26).
- The Timberwolves led 2-0 and 5-3 early on, but those proved to be the lone leads for NU in the opening half.
- SVSU used a 10-0 run to go up 20-9 with under eight minutes remaining.
- Northwood responded with six straight points to get within six at 20-15.
- It was all SVSU the rest of the way, out-scoring Northwood 18-4 over the last 5:07 of the first half.
- The Cardinals scored five points in the final four seconds to push their advantage to 38-19 at the break.
- Northwood struggled from the floor in the half, making just 5-27 overall (18.5 percent). NU was 1-14 from 3-point range (7.1 percent) but did go 8-10 from the foul line (80.0 percent).
- Saginaw Valley ended the opening 20 minutes at 40.0 percent overall (12-30). The Cardinals went 5-10 from beyond the 3-point arc (50.0 percent) and 9-13 from the foul line (69.2 percent).
- Northwood was much better in the second half and chipped away at the lead, getting within 10 at 41-31 with 11:30 remaining.
- The Timberwolves got all the way back level on an Evan Lowden 3-pointer to tie the score 54-54 with 1:35 remaining.
- That proved to be the last time NU was tied, however, as the Cardinals scored the next six points to lead SVSU to the win.
- After their first half struggles, Northwood bounced back to finish the second half at 53.6 percent (15-28) overall and 3-10 from 3-point range (30.0 percent).
- Saginaw Valley fell back to 30.0 percent overall (6-20) and 1-4 from 3-point range (25.0 percent).
- SVSU did out-score Northwood 12-4 from the foul line in the second half.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .360 (18-50), Northwood .364 (20-55)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .429 (6-14), Northwood .167 (4-24)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .741 (20-27), Northwood .750 (12-16)
- REBOUNDS: Saginaw Valley 32 (Nine offensive), Northwood 32 (Eight offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Saginaw Valley 10/12, Northwood 7/11
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Saginaw Valley 20, Northwood 32
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Saginaw Valley 15, Northwood 13
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Saginaw Valley 7, Northwood 9
- BENCH POINTS: Saginaw Valley 31, Northwood 25
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Maurion Scott: 20 points (career-high), 8-10 from the floor, 4-4 from 3-point range, four rebounds, four assists
- Jack Ammerman/Trevor Davis: 11 points each
- The Timberwolves travel to Purdue Northwest Friday (January 29). Game time is set for 4 p.m.