OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northern Michigan State Wildcats 84, Northwood Timberwolves 72
RECORDS: Northwood (4-6, 4-6 GLIAC), Northern Michigan (5-5, 5-5 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Marquette, Mich.
RECAP: Northern Michigan controls the second half to defeat Northwood men's basketball 84-72 Saturday afternoon (February 6).
- The Timberwolves got off to a strong start, scoring the first six points of the game.
- NU eventually put up 11 of the first 15 in the opening 4:19 of the contest.
- The lead for Northwood got to 11 on two separate occasions, the last of which was at 28-17 with under five minutes remaining in the half.
- Northern Michigan used a 12-5 push to get within four before the Timberwolves took a 35-29 lead to the locker room.
- Northwood held the advantage in shooting in the opening 20 minutes – the Timberwolves were 14-30 overall (46.7 percent) while going 3-5 from beyond the 3-point arc (60.0 percent) and making all four of their free throw attempts.
- Northern Michigan ended the half at 31.3 percent (10-32) overall. NM was 3-6 from 3-point range (50.0 percent) and 6-7 from the foul line (85.7 percent).
- Northwood started the second half strong, leading 46-37 under 16 minutes remaining.
- That is when the Wildcats came to life, scoring 12 straight points to take the lead for the first time on the day at 48-46.
- NMU's run eventually went to 16-2, giving the Wildcats a 53-48 lead.
- The Timberwolves cut the lead down to one at 55-54 and had the lead within one possession four other times but never leveled the score.
- The Wildcats led by as many as 15 before finishing with a 12 point margin
- Northern Michigan's offense was the key in the second half was the key to the win, as NMU shot 75.0 percent from the floor (21-28). The Wildcats were also 5-9 from 3-point range (55.6 percent) and 8-10 from the foul line (80.0 percent).
- Northwood ended the half at 50.0 percent overall (15-30). The Timberwolves went 3-9 from three (33.3 percent) and 4-8 from the foul line (50.0 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .508 (31-61), Northwood .483 (29-60)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .500 (8-16), Northwood .429 (6-14)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .824 (14-17), Northwood .667 (8-12)
- REBOUNDS: Northern Michigan 32 (Eight offensive), Northwood 26 (Eight offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 14/12, Northwood 6/11
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Northern Michigan 40, Northwood 40
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 15, Northwood 3
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Northern Michigan 18, Northwood 8
- BENCH POINTS: Northern Michigan 24, Northwood 7
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Evan Lowden: 17 points, 12 rebounds
- Jack Ammerman: 19 points, 8-14 from the floor, 2-3 from 3-point range
- Maurion Scott 14 points, three steals
- The Timberwolves and the Wildcats will finish their weekend series with a single game Sunday (February 7). Game time is set for 1 p.m.