OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northern Michigan State Wildcats 73, Northwood Timberwolves 64
RECORDS: Northwood (4-7, 4-7 GLIAC), Northern Michigan (6-5, 6-5 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Marquette, Mich.
RECAP: Northern Michigan finishes weekend sweep over Northwood men's basketball, downing the Timberwolves 74-63 Sunday afternoon (February 7).
- Northwood led the majority of the tightly-contest opening 13 minutes, with the largest lead standing at 11-6.
- Northern Michigan led 3-0 to start the game but did not hold the advantage again until the score was 21-20.
- NMU's run during that stretch of the contest reached 11-0, allowing the Wildcats to go up 28-20.
- Northern Michigan eventually led 36-30 at the break.
- Northwood ended the opening half shooting 37.9 percent overall (11-29) while going 1-5 from 3-point range (20.0 percent) and 7-8 from the foul line (87.5 percent).
- Northern Michigan had a strong shooting performance in the first half, going 12-22 overall (54.5 percent). The Wildcats also went 3-8 from beyond the arc (37.5 percent) and 9-14 from the foul line (64.3 percent).
- The Wildcats scored six of the first eight points after halftime to get the lead to double-digits for the first time on the day at 42-32.
- NMU pushed the lead to as many as 17 before Northwood fought back, cutting the lead down to 60-52 with less than six minutes remaining.
- That is as close as the Timberwolves would get, however, as the Wildcats closed out the 11-point win.
- Northwood fell back to 30.8 percent from the floor in the second half (8-26), which included the Timberwolves going just 1-12 from 3-point range (8.3 percent). NU did have a strong half at the foul line, making 16-20 overall (80.0 percent).
- The Wildcats had the exact same overall field goal shooting numbers from the first half, going 12-22 overall (54.5 percent). NMU was 13-20 from the foul line (65.0 percent) and 1-4 from the 3-point line (25.0 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .545 (24-44), Northwood .345 (19-55)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .333 (4-12), Northwood .118 (2-17)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .647 (22-34), Northwood .821 (23-28)
- REBOUNDS: Northern Michigan 34 (Six offensive), Northwood 23 (Three offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 6/15., Northwood 4/10
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Northern Michigan 30, Northwood 22
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 8, Northwood 12
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Northern Michigan 4, Northwood 5
- BENCH POINTS: Northern Michigan 37, Northwood 18
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- The Timberwolves will return home to face Lake Superior State Friday night (February 12). Game time is set for 6 p.m.