SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 3, Ashland Eagles 2
RECORDS: Northwood (9-2-2, 7-0-1 GLIAC), Ashland (6-7, 2-7 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Timberwolves beat Ashland in overtime on Connor Cole's game-winner Friday (October 13).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Northwood's Austin Hobbs had two prime chances to get his squad on the board early on. In the eighth minute, he was stopped point blank right in front of the goal on a cross pass that he deflected right on goal. Three minutes later from the right side of the box, he was denied again trying to go five-hole on the keeper with a hard strike.
- Despite leading on the shot clock 8-2 after the first half, it was Ashland striking first on an attempted clear out of the box by Northwood. The Ashland attacker was able to pounce on the loose ball after the giveaway and bury a strike past a diving Corbin Cecchini to put the Eagles on the board first in the 41st minute.
- After 64 minutes of dominating the shot clock with no result to show for it, the Timberwolves finally broke through. Coming in as a substitution, freshman Nino Evola made an instant impact with his speed. Making a cut to his right to evade a defender on the right side of the goal, he laid a perfect pass through the box to the foot of Zachary Bakos on the left side. He was able to convert on the easy tap-in to tie the game at one.
- The Shelby Township native was just getting started with his assist on the tying goal. Sprung on a breakaway on a beautiful pass by Lucas Sammut from midfield, Evola was able to win the race to the ball and cut to his left. From the left side, he buried his first collegiate goal to put Northwood ahead 2-1 in the 70th minute.
- After getting the lead, the Timberwolves had trouble keeping the ball out of their end. In the 83rd minute, they paid for it. Capitalizing on two shaken up Timberwolves, Ashland was able to pounce on a giveaway from the top of the box on the left side, tying the game at two.
- On Senior Day, it was only fitting for a fourth-year player to end the contest on a high note. On a corner kick by Hobbes, Connor Cole placed himself in a good position for a redirection. The 6'1" midfielder was able to time his leap, win the position battle, and bury a header for the game-winning goal.
- SHOTS: Northwood 19, Ashland 7
- SAVES: Ashland 8, Northwood 1
- CORNER KICKS: Northwood 6, Ashland 0
- FOULS: Northwood 16, Ashland 13
- Northwood has won the last four matchups in the series outscoring Ashland 12-5.
- Nino Evola's go-ahead tally was his first collegiate goal in his seventh game.
- Zachary Bakos with his third goal of the season is now second to James Vaughan (7) on the team.
- Four of Connor Cole's six career goals are game-winners.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Davenport for a game against the Panthers on Sunday (October 15). Game time is set for 2:30 p.m.