OVERVIEW – PURDUE NORTHWEST
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 1, Purdue Northwest Pride 0
RECORDS: Northwood (3-2, 1-0 GLIAC), Purdue Northwest (2-2-1, 0-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Late Ben Campbell goal lifts Northwood to GLIAC opening victory over Purdue Northwest.
- After a tight first 20 minutes that saw each team post just two shots apiece, Purdue Northwest nearly got on the board in the 23rd minute on a dipping shot from just past midfield that forced Northwood goalkeeper Corbin Cecchini to deflect the ball over crossbar.
- The Timberwolves nearly responded minutes later with a flurry of their own in front of the Pride net. A good pass by Teddy Stacey put Nino Evola through on goal where he had two shots from just in front of goal that the Purdue Northwest netminder turned aside to keep the game tied going into the half.
- Northwood finally capitalized on their shot advantage in the 77th minute off a Lucas Neves corner kick from the right sideline. Sam Richards was able to flick the ball to Ben Campbell on the far post, who buried the only goal of the contest to give NU the victory.
- SHOTS: Northwood 22, Purdue Northwest 8
- SAVES: Purdue Northwest 8, Northwood 2
- CORNER KICKS: Northwood 10, Purdue Northwest 3
- FOULS: Northwood 8, Purdue Northwest 8
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Northwood has now won two of the three matchups in the series history dating back to last season. The other matchup ended in a tie on October 22nd, 2017.
- Ben Campbell entered the year with five career goals in 11 starts. He has two through four this season.
- Corbin Cecchini posted his 10th career shutout.
- The Timberwolves will host Davenport Sunday for a matchup against the Panthers (Sept. 16). Game time is set for 1 p.m.