Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Takes Down #22 Northern Michigan 2-1 in Critical Midweek Road Match

Lirim Shefkiu

OVERVIEW – #22 Northern Michigan University

Northwood Timberwolves 1, #22 Northern Michigan Wildcats 1
RECORDS:  Northwood (5-5, 3-3 GLIAC), NMU (6-2-2, 3-1-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: NMU Soccer Field – Marquette, Mich.
RECAP: The Timberwolves scored the winner from the penalty spot in the 62nd minute and held on for a critical road win at 22nd ranked Northern Michigan 2-1.


  • Much of the first half was played in the midfield as quality chances were at a premium for both teams in the opening stanza.
  • The Timberwolves broke the deadlock in the 11th minute after earning a foul just outside of the penalty area.  Luke Neves' well-played ball into the area found Teddy Stacey's head and the Timberwolves took the early 1-0 lead.
  • 15 minutes later, however, the Wildcats would find the equalizer as Kevin Hoof capitalized on a Northwood turnover into the midfield.  Hoof's long ball into the box found Ben Hoffman whose tidy finish beat Corbin Cecchini to level the score at 1-1.
  • The Timberwolves looked like they might have a chance to go back ahead five minutes later after earning a foul on the left edge of the box, but Neves' ball in couldn't beat the wall and the teams went into the midway break tied 1-1.
  • The second half would start with much of the same as both teams fought for chances early.
  • In the 62nd minute the Timberwolves would regain the lead as a Charlie Evans attempted cross from the right side of the box was handled by a Wildcat defender.  Lirim Shefkiu stepped to the spot and sent NMU keeper Valentin Kliebe the wrong way as he buried the spot kick into the bottom right corner to make the score 2-1 in favor of the guests.
  • The Wildcats' best chance to level the game came right around the 80th minute as they earned a pair of throw-ins deep in the right corner.  Both balls were played long into the box, but the Timberwolves defense held strong dealing with both threats before finally clearing the ball away. 
  • Northwood was able to work the clock for the remainder of the half and come away with a 2-1 victory.


  • SHOTS: NMU 17, Northwood 6
  • SAVES: Northwood 4 (Cecchini), NMU 1 (Kliebe)
  • CORNER KICKS: Northwood 2, NMU 2
  • FOULS: NMU 14, Northwood 12


  • Stacey: Two Shots, One Goal
  • Shefkiu: One Shot, One Goal


  • Today marked NMU's first loss in GLIAC play this season.  The teams will face off again in Midland for the regular season finale on October 26th.


  • Northwood will return home on Sunday (October 7th) to face off with current GLIAC leaders UW-Parkside for a 12:00 p.m. kickoff.  The Timberwolves fell 2-1 in overtime in the teams' first matchup this season.