SCORE: Parkside Rangers 2, Northwood Timberwolves 1
RECORDS: Parkside (8-3-1, 6-1-1 GLIAC), Northwood (5-6, 3-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood loses heartbreaker to Parkside 2-1 on late penalty kick (October 7).
INSIDE THE GAME
- The Timberwolves nearly struck first in the 25th minute. Nino Evola cradled the ball at the side of the box, made a nice move to get some space, and fired a shot from left side.
- NU finally broke through in the 35th minute. With the Timberwolves pressuring, a loose ball bounced off of the keeper into the middle of the area where Austin Hobbes was charging. The forward was able to fire a perfect strike to the top left corner of the net, giving Northwood a 1-0 lead heading into halftime.
- Northwood dominated the half statistically, finishing with a 13-0 edge in shots and a 6-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- Parkside came out much better in the second half and were able to tie the game in the 53rd minute. On a corner kick from the left sideline, the Rangers midfielder running across the box was able to deflect the ball over keeper Corbin Cecchini's glove to even the score.
- NU were inches from going ahead in the 73rd minute. Andrew Behring caught a pass at the left side of the net near the box, and in one motion turned for a shot heading for the top corner of the net that the Parkside keeper dove to block with both hands.
- The Rangers ended up converting on a prime opportunity to go ahead in the 87th minute. After a Northwood handball in the area, the visitors were awarded a penalty shot. Parksdie converted to give his team a 2-1 lead that would stand up in the final three minutes.
- SHOTS: Parkside 6, Northwood 19
- SAVES: Parkside 4, Northwood 1
- CORNER KICKS: Parkside 4, Northwood 8
- FOULS: Parkside 12, Northwood 10
- The Timberwolves will host Ashland Friday for a matchup against the Eagles (Oct. 12). Match time is set for 2 p.m.