SCORE: Saginaw Valley 1, Northwood Timberwolves 1
RECORDS: Saginaw Valley (8-1-5. 6-1-3 GLIAC), Northwood (5-7-1, 3-5-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood plays to tie against Saginaw Valley after Richards forces OT (October 14).
INSIDE THE GAME
- The Cardinals were able to strike first in the 17th minute. Northwood committed a turnover just outside of the area, allowing the Saginaw Valley forward to pick up the loose ball. Cutting across the box to his left, he was able to bury a shot into the bottom left corner of the net to make it 1-0 SVSU.
- The Timberwolves had a flair for the dramatic and tied the game late in the second half. On a Jake Mattia throw-in, Sam Richards picked up a loose ball in the area that deflected off of a Saginaw Valley defender. The Northwood defender was able to find a hole and bury a shot to the bottom left corner of the net, bringing the match even with just over two minutes left.
- NU got a big save from their keeper in the 99th minute to keep the match alive. The Cardinals were awarded a free kick from the right sideline, and the dipping cross deflected off of a defender to the middle of the area. The SVSU forward fired a point-blank strike that Corbin Cecchini dove to his right to nab and keep the match even.
- SHOTS: Saginaw Valley 16, Northwood 12
- SAVES: Saginaw Valley 3, Northwood 5
- CORNER KICKS: Saginaw Valley 4, Northwood 4
- FOULS: Saginaw Valley 18, Northwood 21
- Northwood has won five of the last eight matchups dating back to 2015. The last tie between the two teams came on September 12th, 2014, when both teams played to a 0-0 stalemate at SVSU.
- Sam Richards scored his first career goal in his 13th start.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Davenport Friday for a matchup against the Panthers (Oct. 19). Game time is set for 7 p.m.