SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 1, Northern Michigan Wildcats 0
RECORDS: Northern (6-6-5), Northwood (8-8-1)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Fourth-seeded Northwood beats No. 5 Northern Michigan 1-0 in GLIAC Tournament Opener (October 30).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Northwood keeper Corbin Cecchini kept the first half scoreless thanks to help from his defense. After charging to the top of the box, an oncoming NMU forward headed the ball over his outstretched gloves and towards the open net. With the ball bouncing towards the goal, Josh Wates slid across the goal line and kicked the chance away, keeping the game scoreless in the 18th minute.
- Neither team could get much going offensively in the half, as the game was scoreless in the break. Northwood held an 8-3 edge in shots and 3-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- The Timberwolves finally broke through in the 61st minute. From the left side of midfield, a booming kick sent a ball dipping into the area. At the top of the box, Jack Doyle was able to get a strike off before the ball touched the turf, creating a rebound in the middle of the area. Austin Hobbs buried the wide-open chance to give NU a 1-0 lead, an edge they would keep for the rest of the match.
- SHOTS: Northern Michigan 8, Northwood 11
- SAVES: Northern Michigan 4, Northwood 4
- CORNER KICKS: Northern Michigan 3, Northwood 3
- FOULS: Northern Michigan 10, Northwood 11
- Northwood has won the past seven matchups since 2016.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Saginaw Valley Friday for the GLIAC Tournament Semifinals against the top-seeded Cardinals. Match time is set for 10:30 a.m.