OVERVIEW: Saginaw Valley State Holiday Classic
EVENT: Saginaw Valley State Holiday Classic
LOCATION: University Center, Saginaw Valley State University
RECAP: The Northwood University track and field teams opened the 2017-18 indoor campaign at the Saginaw Valley State Holiday Classic Saturday afternoon (December 2), highlighted by three NCAA provisional marks.
INSIDE THE MEET
- The Northwood men saw three provisional qualifying efforts for the NCAA Division II Indoor Championships held in Pittsburg, Kansas March 9-10, 2018.
- Freshman Mason Phillips was a two event winner in his collegiate debut. Philips won the long jump with a leap of 7.09 meters/23 feet-3.25 inches to move himself into third in school history and good for a provisional qualifying mark. Philips later won the 200 meter dash in 21.63 seconds.
- Junior Rami Gharsalli won the 60 meter hurdles in 8.06 seconds, surpassing the NCAA provisional qualifying standard. Gharsalli ran 8.00 in the preliminaries.
- Senior Paul Evans finished second overall in the weight throw with his best season opener in his career, registering an NCAA provisional mark of 18.11 meters/59 feet-5 inches.
- The Northwood women were led by junior Heaven Powell, who took the high jump title with a clearance of 1.63 meters/5 feet-4.25 inches.
- Senior Madison Arnouts recorded a second place finish in the 400m dash, completing the race in 58.51 seconds.
- Senior Dana Turner placed second in the long jump with a distance of 5.37 meters/17 feet-7.5 inches.
- In the throws, senior Carly D'Almeida registered a toss of 16.67 meters/54 feet-8.25 inches in the weight throw for third place.
The Timberwolves will resume competition following winter break at the Bob Eubanks Open, hosted by Grand Valley State University. Competition is set for Friday (January 12) at 10 am.