OVERVIEW: GVSU Tune-Up
EVENT: GVSU Tune-Up
LOCATION: Kelly Family Sports Center – Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: Paul Evan's school record and NCAA provisional mark in the weight throw highlights track and field at the GVSU Tune-Up meet Friday (February 16).
INSIDE THE MEET
MEN'S TRACK AND FIELD
- Paul Evans proved why he is one of the best weight throwers in school history. The senior had a monster throw of 19.66 meters/64 feet-6 inches on his last throw of the competition to finish third, while earning a new NCAA provisional qualifying mark and breaking the school record of 19.34 meters set by Craig Borsenik in 2011. Coincidentally, his previous lifetime best of 19.30 meters was set at last year's GVSU Tune-Up.
- Evans is now ranked ninth on the national list at the time of this article. To show the strength of the GLIAC in the weight throw, Evans is currently ranked sixth in the conference, putting only three non-conference athletes ahead of him on the national list.
- Sophomore Austin Hamlet finished second in the preliminaries of the 60 meter dash in 7.10 seconds, then finished second in the event finals with a new collegiate best of 7.02 seconds.
- Freshman Trestin Mancillas-Finnerty had a third place finish in the 800 meters with a time of 1:54.89 for a new personal best and moving himself to eighth all-time in school history
- Junior Dylan Rocha now ranks eighth in school history in the mile after recording a new personal best of 4:20.36.
WOMEN'S TRACK AND FIELD
- Senior Carly D'Almeida finished second in the weight throw with a top mark of 18.33 meters/30 feet-1.75 inches and hitting the NCAA provisional standard for her fifth straight meet.
- Freshman Amanda Aquinaga moved herself into sixth in school history in the 800 meters with her time of 2:25.02, good for an eighth place finish in the event.
The Northwood track and field teams will compete in the GLIAC Indoor Track & Field Championships Saturday (February 24) and Sunday (February 25).