OVERVIEW: 2018 NCAA DIVISION II INDOOR TRACK & FIELD CHAMPIONSHIPS
EVENT: 2018 NCAA Division II Indoor Track & Field Championships - Hosted by Pittsburg State University
LOCATION: Robert Plaster Center – Pittsburg, Kansas
INSIDE THE MEET
PAUL EVANS ENDS INDOOR CAREER AS ALL-AMERICAN
- Senior Paul Evans earned All-America First Team honors in the weight throw after smashing his own school record with a mark of 20.11 meters/65 feet-11.75 inches en route to a sixth place finish. Coming into the meet, he was ranked No. 12 on the performance list. Evans is the first All-American in school history in the event.
- Evans was sitting in seventh place after the opening flights with a mark of 19.76 meters/64 feet-10 inches on his second attempt. On his fourth attempt, he unleashed a monster throw to set the new Northwood standard in the event and improve on his place in the competition. He has broken the school record in each of his last three competitions – GVSU Tune-Up (19.66 meters/64 feet-6 inches), GLIAC Indoor Championships (19.83 meters/65 feet-0.75 inches), and NCAA Indoor Championships (20.11 meters). He is also the first Timberwolf to throw over 20 meters in the weight throw.
- Evans concludes his indoor career as a two-time All-American and the school record holder in the weight throw. Last year, Evans finished in 12th place (18.30 meters/60 feet-0.5 inches) to earn All-America Second Team honors.
PHILLIPS IMPRESSES IN NCAA DEBUT
- Freshman Mason Phillips had a memorable NCAA Championships debut and will leave Kansas as an All-American. He was sitting in eighth place after the opening flights of the long jump with a distance of 7.37 meters/24 feet-2.25 inches and able to hold his place through the finals.
- Phillips is NU's first All-American in the long jump and holds the school record at 7.53 meters/24 feet-8.5 inches.
- Junior Rami Gharsalli earned All-America Second Team honors in the 60 meter hurdles after finishing in ninth place overall with a time of 8.01 seconds. This is his second All-America honor in the event. Last year, Gharsalli earned of All-America First-Team honors with a second place finish (7.83 seconds).
- Senior Carly D'Almeida finished in 16th place in the weight throw with a mark of 16.63 meters/54 feet-6.75 inches in her first NCAA Championships appearance. She completes her indoor weight throw career with a PR of 18.45 meters/60 feet-6.5 inches and second in school history.
The Northwood track and field teams will open up their outdoor season in two weeks at the Winthrop Adidas Invitational in Rock Hill, S.C. March 23-24.