OVERVIEW: NCAA OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD CHAMPIONSHIPS
EVENT: 2018 NCAA Division II Outdoor Track & Field Championships - Hosted by Johnson C. Smith
LOCATION: Irwin Belk Complex – Charlotte, N.C.
RECAP: Mason Phillips earns All-America First Team honors in the long jump to lead Northwood to an excellent first day of competition at the NCAA Outdoor Championships Thursday (May 24). Paul Evans claims All-America Second Team honors in the hammer, 4x100 relay breaks school record.
INSIDE THE MEET
PHILLIPS EARNS SECOND CAREER ALL-AMERICAN IN LONG JUMP
- Freshman Mason Phillips earned his second All-America honor in the long jump in similar fashion as the NCAA Indoor Championships after an eighth place finish. Phillips was the leader after flight one on his second jump, registering a distance of 7.46 meters (24 feet-5.75 inches) that held through the second flight and the finals of the long jump competition.
- He is the first NU athlete to become an All-American in the long jump during the outdoor season, and the first to become an All-American in both the indoor and outdoor season.
- Phillips closed out his freshman campaign in the long jump as the school record for the indoor and outdoor long jump with marks of 7.53 meters (24 feet-8.5 inches) and 7.50 meters (24 feet-7.25 inches) respectively.
EVANS PICKS UP SECOND TEAM ALL-AMERICA HONORS IN HAMMER
- In his last hammer competition of his career, senior Paul Evans became Northwood's first All-American in the men's hammer throw. His best mark of the day was measured at 58.56 meters (192 feet-1 inch) on his second attempt of the competition for a 12th place finish to earn All-America Second Team honors.
- The progress that Evans has made since the beginning of his career is outstanding. Under throws coach Zac Ball, he improved from a 2015 season best of 47.53 meters (155 feet-11 inches) to closing out his career as the school record holder at 62.45 meters (204 feet-11 inches), a two-time NCAA qualifier in the hammer, and an All-American.
4X100 RELAY RESETS SCHOOL RECORD, QUALIFY FOR FINALS
- The prelims of the 4x100 meter relay saw the quarter of junior Rami Gharsalli, sophomore Christopher Bent, sophomore Austin Hamlet, and Phillips reset the school record that they broke less than two weeks ago. Their time of 40.35 seconds finished them third in their prelim heat and is the sixth fastest qualifying time going into the finals. The previous school record time of 40.45 seconds was set at the Mount Olive Final Qualifier on May 13.
- The 4x100 relay finals will take place Saturday (May 26) at 3:25 p.m. to determine their All-American placement.
BENT DEBUTS IN 100 METERS
- After the 4x100 relay, Bent had his NCAA Championships debut in the 100 meters and finished 13th overall with a time of 10.61 seconds, just narrowly missing All-America Second Team honors.
- The 2018 NCAA Division II Outdoor Track & Field Championships will continue tomorrow (May 25) with the second day of competition.
REMAINING NCAA SCHEDULE FOR NORTHWOOD
Friday, May 25
4:00 PM – Men's Discus Throw (Finals) – Evans
5:35 PM – Men's 200 Meters (Prelims) – Phillips
6:40 PM – Men's 110 Meter Hurdles (Prelims) Gharsalli
Saturday, May 26
3:25 PM – Men's 4x100 Relay (Finals) – Gharsalli, Bent, Hamlet, Phillips
4:05 PM – Men's 110 Meter Hurdles (Finals – if qualify) – Gharsalli
5:50 PM – Men's 200 Meters (Finals – if qualify) – Phillips