OVERVIEW – JET'S PIZZA INVITATIONAL
MEET: Jet's Pizza Invitational
LOCATION: Saginaw Valley State University – University Center Mich.
RECAP: New and improved NCAA provisional qualifying marks and personal bests give Northwood a strong showing at the Jet's Pizza Invitational Friday-Saturday (January 25-26).
GHARSALLI IMPROVES NCAA PROVO IN HURDLES
- Hurdler Rami Gharsalli only competed in his second meet of the season, but continues to improve each race as he rounds into form.
- The 60 meter hurdle preliminary rounds Friday night saw him post the fastest qualifying time in 8.12 seconds. Gharsalli came back to the finals today to run an event-winning time of 8.03 for his second improvement of the weekend. His time today is the seventh fastest time in Division II at the time of this release.
PHILLIPS EARNS LONG JUMP PROVO
- Mason Phillips posted a NCAA provisional qualifying mark in the long jump en route to winning the event Friday night. Phillips posted a season best jump of 7.30 meters (23 feet-11.5 inches). That is currently tied for the 11th best performance on the national list.
- Through five meets of the indoor season, Phillips has posted four NCAA provisional marks and would qualify to compete in all four events at the NCAA Division II Track and Field Championships if the qualifying list ended today.
INSIDE THE MEET – MEN
- Andrew Davis was a finalist in the 60 meter dash, crossing the line in 7.02 seconds to finish second. He improved upon his preliminary time of 7.06 in the event.
- Christopher Bent picked up a third-place finish in the 200 meters at 22.52 seconds. In the prelims, Bent ran 22.51 seconds to be the second fastest qualifier.
- Nick Morrison was a two-event finalist for the Timberwolves – in the 60 meters and 200 meters. He placed fourth in the 60 meters in 7.22 seconds after running the same time in prelims.
- Morrison also earned a fourth-place finish in the 200 meters behind teammate Bent – clocking in at 22.72 seconds. He ran a pair of personal bests of his own, running 22.90 seconds in the prelims before improving upon his time in the finals.
- In the 400 meters, JaiVen Holes-Powell finished sixth with a time of 53.47 seconds for a season best.
- Holmes-Powell also finished sixth in the 60 hurdles in 9.26 seconds.
- Jerralmiar Jones finished third in the high jump with a top clearance of 1.93 meters (6 feet-4 inches).
- The throws contingent saw plenty of personal bests come out of the two-day meet, with Hunter Berecz being the top NU finisher in both the weight throw and the shot put with personal best marks. He claimed a second-place finish in the shot put (15.51 meters/50 feet-10.75 inches) and a third-place finish in the weight (15.88 meters/52 feet-1.25 inches). Berecz is fourth in the shot and ninth in weight in all-time performances at Northwood.
- Nathan Powers finished fourth in the shot put for a new personal best in the event (14.71 meters/48 feet-3.25 inches), while finishing fifth in the weight throw (14.90 meters/48 feet-10.75 inches).
- Travis Schepers posted marks of 13.37 meters (43 feet-10.5 inches) in the shot put and 13.59 meters (44 feet-7 inches) in the weight throw to finish fifth and eighth respectively. His weight throw distance is a new personal best.
- Zechariah Stickler picked up a sixth-place finish in the weight throw (13.98 meters/45 feet-10.5 inches). In the shot put, he finished seventh at 13.09 meters (42 feet-11.5 inches).
- Rounding out the Northwood contingent in the weight throw, Ben Quella placed seventh (13.92 meters/45 feet-8 inches) and Dylan Powers placed ninth (11.70 meters/38 feet-4.75 inches).
INSIDE THE MEET – WOMEN
- Jetaeia Lewis earned two third place finishes at the Jet's Pizza Invitational. She posted the fourth fastest qualifying time in the 60 meter dash preliminaries Friday night of 7.88 seconds. She crossed the line in 7.81 seconds Saturday afternoon to earn a third-place finish in the event finals.
- In the 200 meters, Lewis was the third fastest qualifier in the 200 prelims at 25.68 seconds to follow up with a third-place finish in 25.57 seconds.
- Debra Wallace returned to action, this time moving up to the 400 meters and earning a fourth-place finish in 58.16 seconds. Wallace now owns the second fastest performance in NU history, just shy of the school record of 57.57 set by Cicilia Murdock in 1986.
- In the throws, Taky Ezell earned a second-place finish in the weight throw with a mark of 15.11 meters (49 feet-7 inches) that came on her fifth attempt of the competition.
- Jessica Marvin was a two-event finalist in the throws. Marvin claimed a fourth-place finish in the weight throw with a throw of 14.67 meters (48 feet-1.75 inches). In the shot put, she landed a mark at 11.61 meters (38 feet-1.25 inches) to pick up a seventh-place finish.
- The Northwood track & field teams will travel to Hillsdale College Friday-Saturday (February 1-2) for the Wide Track Classic.