OVERVIEW – SVSU JET'S PIZZA INVITATIONAL
LOCATION: University Center, Mich. – Saginaw Valley State University
RECAP: Northwood track & field turns in a number of strong performances at the SVSU Jet's Pizza Invitational Friday and Saturday (January 29-30).
INSIDE THE MEET – MEN
- Northwood took three of the top four places in the 60 meter dash. Mason Phillips and Xzavia Price went 1-2 with times of 6.87 and 6.99, respectively. Andrew Davis placed fourth at 7.18.
- That trio also helped Northwood go 1-4 in the 200 meter dash, with Phillips leading the way with the win with a NCAA Provisional time of 21.62. That is good for No. 6 nationally in the event. Price was second at 22.59, while Jeronn Body placed third at 23.47. Davis ended up fourth at 23.62.
- Josiah Morse and Stephen Barker went 1-2 in the 800 meters. Morse clocked an NCAA Provisional time of 1:52.89 to win, while Barker narrowly missed the provo time at 1:53.21 (provo time is 1:53.00). The duo is currently No. 11 and No. 15, respectively, on the national list.
- NU also had three of the top five finishers in the 3,000, led by Zane Aldrich placing second with a time of 8:27.46. That places him No. 2 in program history. Brandon Boyd (8:45.43) and Carson Laney (8:47.42) finished fourth and fifth overall.
- The Timberwolves continued to show their team balance by taking three of the top four places in the shot put, led by overall winner Hunter Berecz (16.29 meters). Zechariah Stickler was second at 15.96 meters, while Travis Schepers was fourth at 15.58 meters.
- Northwood had three of the top four finishers in the weight throw. Nathan Powers narrowly missed an NCAA Provisional mark while taking home first place, tossing 17.54 meters. Dylan Powers was second at 16.51 meters, followed by Berecz at 15.62 meters.
INSIDE THE MEET – WOMEN
- Jessica Kursinsky put up her second NCAA Provisional mark in the shot put already this season, placing second overall with a toss of 14.05 meters. That mark is good for No. 13 nationally in the event.
- Jessica Marvin was second in the weight throw with a toss of 16.34 meters.
- Avery Stadt placed sixth in the 800 meters with a 2:24.58. That time places her seventh in school history in the event.
- Lainey Veenkant finished third in the mile, running a 5:30.04.
- Debra Wallace ran a 1:01.50 to earn a third place finish in the 400.
- Northwood will head to the GVSU Big Meet February 12-13.