Posted: Apr 17, 2021
OVERVIEW – AL OWENS INVITATIONAL
LOCATION: Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood throwers lead the way at the Al Owens Invitational Saturday afternoon (April 17).
INSIDE THE MEET – MEN
- Mason Phillips earned the win in the 100 meter dash with a time of 10.70. The senior currently ranks No. 2 in Division II in the event with his 10.32 from earlier this season.
- Phillips also won the 200, clocking a 21.41. He stands third nationally in the 200 thanks to his 20.68 from March.
- Hunter Berecz (17.22 meters) and Travis Schepers (16.40) placed fifth and sixth, respectively in the invite section of the shot put. Both of those marks are NCAA Provisional qualifiers. Berecz now sits second in school history, while Schepers is fourth.
- Zechariah Stickler finished fourth in the discus throw invite with a toss of 54.11. That mark is an NCAA provisional qualifier and stands ninth in Division II. Stickler now ranks second in school history in the event.
- Nathan Powers picked up a provisional qualifying mark in the hammer throw with a toss of 59.47 meters, good for fourth in the Invitational section of the event.
- David Kotliarker also had a provisional mark in the hammer at 55.68 meters.
- Josiah Morse finished fourth in the 800, clocking a 1:54.52.
- Mike Allen won the 3,000 meter steeplechase in exciting fashion, taking first place by .05 of a second with a season-best time of 9:46.27.
- NU's 4X400 meter relay team of Andrew Davis, Josiah Morse, Stephen Barker and Phillips placed second overall with a time of 3:21.27
INSIDE THE MEET – WOMEN
- One week after breaking an 11-year old record, Jessica Kursinsky broke her own mark in the shot put with a toss of 14.54 to place second in the invite event. She stands 13th in the nation in the event.
- Kursinsky also had a personal-best toss in the discus at the meet, placing second in the regular competition. That puts her sixth in school history in the event.
- Avery Stadt now stands seventh in school history in the 800 after running a 2:20.75.
- Northwood will compete at the Hillsdale Gina Relays April 22-24.