OVERVIEW – REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
MEET: NCAA Division II Midwest Regional Championships – Hosted by Hillsdale College
LOCATION: Hayden Park - Hillsdale, Mich.
RECAP: The Northwood University cross country teams competed in the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional Championships Saturday (November 17) to round out the 2018 season. The men's team finished ninth overall for their highest finish since 2005, while Brian Patrick picked up All-Region honors.
INSIDE THE MEET
- The men were led by sophomore Brian Patrick with a 12th place finish and All-Region honors. Patrick crossed the line in 32:10.8 for a 74 second personal best while moving himself into fourth all-time in NU history for 10k.
- Senior Dylan Rocha turned in a strong performance at the regional meet with a 39th place finish to serve as NU's No. 2 runner. His time 33:04.4 was a 64 second personal best and moves him into 12th all time in school history in the 10k.
- The No. 3 runner for NU was freshman Zane Aldrich, who crossed the line in 33:27.3 for 62nd place. Aldrich now owns the 16th best time in school history on the 10k cross circuit.
- The men's team finished ninth overall in the team standings with 250 points. 217 athletes completed in the men's race.
- On the women's side, sophomore Madi Brooks led the way for NU as their No. 1 runner, finishing the 6k course in 24:39.3 for a 109th place finish.
- Sophomore Amanda Aquinaga moved herself into 25th in school history after her performance at the regional championships. Serving as the No. 2 runner for NU, Aquinaga turned in a 21 second personal best to complete the 6k course 24:58.5.
- Northwood's No. 3 runner was sohpomore Morgan Bolinger, finishing the 6k course in 25:22.5.
- The women's team finished 25th overall with 736 team points. 192 women competed at the championships.
- The men's cross country team posted their highest team finish sine the 2005 team finished eighth at the NCAA Regional Championships. They saw a huge improvement from a year ago - where the placed 20th at the meet.
- Patrick and Rocha both improved drastically upon their finishes from 2017. Patrick finished 80th at last year's meet, while Rocha improved 70 places from a 109th place finish in 2017.
- Freshman Parker Hayes now sits in 19th in school history for the 10k after posting a time of 33:34.
- Northwood has concluded the cross country season and will turn to the indoor circuit. The first indoor track and field meet for the Timberwolves will be December 8 at the SVSU Holiday Open.