OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 11, Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 7/Northwood 5, Saginaw Valley 1
RECORDS: Northwood 14-9-1, 4-0 GLIAC/Saginaw Valley 5-7, 0-2 GLIAC
LOCATION: University Center, Mich. – SVSU Softball Complex
RECAP: Softball stays hot, earning road sweep at rival Saginaw Valley Saturday (March 23), winning game one 11-7 before taking game two 5-1.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The high-scoring contest got rolling right away. After Maddie Coulter tripled to leadoff the game, Torriya Gray-Baker drove her home with a single to give the Timberwolves a 1-0 lead.
- SVSU responded with a two-run homer in the bottom of the inning to make the score 2-1 after one inning.
- The Timberwolves responded right away in the top of the second on a two-run double by Karli Godlewski to put NU back on top 3-2.
- The Cardinals then scored two in the third and another in the fourth to take a 5-3 lead.
- Northwood came through in the fifth with what proved to be key inning of the game. NU started the scoring on a sacrifice fly on an error for Gray-Baker.
- Sydni Culps followed with a RBI triple to score Gray-Baker, tying the game at 5-5.
- The big hit of the inning was by Abby Joseph, whose three-run home run hit off the foul pole and give the Timberwolves an 8-5 edge.
- Coulter finished off the six-run inning with a run-scoring double that made the score 9-5.
- After SVSU got a solo homer in the fifth, Culps hit a two-run home run to left to make the score 11-6.
- The Cardinals plated one run in the seven before Northwood closed out the win.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 11/13/0, Saginaw Valley: 7/13/4
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 8, Saginaw Valley: 7
- Winning Pitcher: Shayna Frank (5-3): 4 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 0 BB, 5 K
- Losing Pitcher: Kasey Bagelmann (0-2): 4 1/3 IP, 8 H, 8 R (6 ER), 0 BB, 2 K
- Save: April Bennett (2): 3 IP, 3 H, R, 2 BB, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Coulter: 4-5, 2B, 3B, R, RBI
- Culps: 2-4, 3B, HR, 3 RBI
- Joseph: HR, 3 RBI, 2 R
- Godlewski: 2B, 2 RBI
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- After three scoreless innings to start the game, the Timberwolves broke through in the fourth on a two-run double by Joseph.
- Saginaw Valley got one back in the bottom of the inning on a solo home run to cut the lead to 2-1.
- Northwood put three on the board in the sixth, starting with an RBI single by Culps.
- Joseph then finished off her big day with a line-drive two-run homer to right center to make it 5-1.
- That is all that Bennett would need in the circle. After pitching the final three innings of game one to earn the save, she tossed a complete game in the nightcap to close out the sweep.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 5/9/0, Saginaw Valley: 1/4/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 6, Saginaw Valley: 5
- Winning Pitcher: April Bennett (5-2): 7 IP, 4 H, R, 3 BB, 2 K
- Losing Pitcher: Julia Mundy (3-2): 5 2/3 IP, 7 H, 5 R, BB, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Northwood has now won six straight games and is 10-1-1 in their last 12 games.
- This is the first time Northwood has swept SVSU in a doubleheader since April 26, 2014.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Wayne State Sunday (March 24) for a doubleheader. First pitch is set for Noon.