OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 6, Wayne State Warriors 2 (Game 1), Northwood 4, Wayne State 2 (Game 2)
RECORDS: Northwood 23-18-1, 13-9 GLIAC/Wayne State 26-17, 9-13 GLIAC
LOCATION: Fisher Stadium – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood picks up doubleheader sweep over Wayne State Friday afternoon (April 19).
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood struck right away. Julia Gross singled, Abby Joseph doubled, and Torriya Gray-Baker walked to load the bases with two out. Grace Dutoi came through with a single to score Gross and Joseph to make it 2-0.
- Karli Godlewski followed with another base hit to score Gray-Baker and extend the lead to 3-0 at the end of the first.
- Wayne State rebounded in the top of the third. After a two-out double, a single to right field scored the runner from second to make it a 3-1 game. Later in the inning, a throwing error moved a runner to third. Another single to right cut the Timberwolves' lead to 3-2 heading into the bottom of the inning.
- NU went to work and rebuilt their edge in the third. Joseph walked and Gray-Baker doubled to put runners at second and third with one out. Dutoi flew out to center, but a throwing error allowed pinch runner Alexis Koehler to score from third and make it a 4-2 game.
- Later in the third, Godlewski punctuated the inning with a bang. She smacked a two-run shot over the left-field fence to restore Northwood's edge at 6-2 heading into the fourth. That proved to be more than enough as Taylor Wright shut down WSU in seven strong innings.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 6/8/1, Wayne State: 2/7/2
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 3, Wayne State: 6
- Winning Pitcher – Taylor Wright (6-1): 7 IP, 7 H, 2 R (1 ER), K, 3 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Megan Guitar (15-10): 6 IP, 8 H, 6 R (3 ER), K, 3 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Godlewski: 2-2, HR, 3 RBI
- Julia Gross: 2-3, R
- Gray-Baker: 1-2, 2 R, BB
- Joseph: 1-2, R, BB
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Wayne State broke the scoreless tie in the top of the fourth. A one-out double put a runner at second with one out, and a two-run homer just over the center-field wall vaulted the Warriors to a 2-0 lead heading into the bottom of the frame.
- Northwood instantly responded in their ensuing at-bats. Sydni Culps doubled and Gray-Baker walked to lead off the inning. Grace Dutoi moved them up with a sacrifice bunt, and Alexis Koehler was able to score on an error to cut the deficit in half at 2-1 heading into the fifth.
- The Timberwolves took the lead in the fifth. Tara Gross singled and Julia Gross advanced her to second on a sacrifice bunt. Culps walked, and Gray-Baker hit a frozen rope double to left field to score Tara Gross and tie the game at 2.
- Dutoi then came through with a two-out double down the left-field line to push across two more and give NU a 4-2 lead after five.
- Starter Shayna Frank made the lead stand up for her seventh win of the year.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 4/4/0, Wayne State: 2/6/2
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 7, Wayne State: 8
- Winning Pitcher – Shayna Frank (7-7): 7 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 K, 4 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Paige Ameel (9-7): 6.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, K, 4 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Dutoi: 1-2, 2B, 2 RBI
- Gray-Baker: 1-2, 2B, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Culps: 1-2, 2B, 1 R, 1 BB
- Tara Gross: 1-4, 1 R
- Northwood will host to Ashland on Saturday (April 20) for a doubleheader against the Eagles. First pitch is set for noon.