OVERVIEW – #10 GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORES: Grand Valley State 8, Northwood Timberwolves 0, Grand Valley State 11, Northwood 6
RECORDS: Northwood 24-23-1, 14-14 GLIAC/Grand Valley 40-8, 24-6 GLIAC
LOCATION: Fisher Stadium – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood drops pair versus No. 10 Grand Valley State Friday (April 26).
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- April Bennett was able to wiggle out of a jam in the top of the second. A leadoff single, a groundout, and an infield error put runners at first and third with one out. Posting a strikeout and inducing a groundout, the Northwood starter kept the game scoreless heading into the bottom of the inning.
- Grand Valley broke the scoreless tie in the fourth. A walk and two singles loaded the bases with one out. A third single up the middle plated two runs and put the Lakers up 2-0 going into the bottom of the fourth.
- GVSU clinched the game early in the fifth with a big inning. After a leadoff single up the middle, a two-run homer to straightaway center doubled the lead to 4-0. Later in the frame, a walk and stolen base put a runner on second with one out. Another two-run blast to right field extended the Laker lead to 6-0. Loading the bases with two out, an infield error allowed two more runs to score as Grand Valley built up an eight-run lead and shut down the Timberwolves to earn a five-inning mercy victory.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 0/2/3, Grand Valley: 8/10/0
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 3, Grand Valley: 8
- Winning Pitcher – Allison Lipovsky (23-2): 5 IP, 2 H, 6 K, 1 BB
- Losing Pitcher – April Bennett (7-8): 4 IP, 8 H, 5 R, aa2 K, 2 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Grand Valley opened the scoring with a bang in the first inning. After a leadoff single, a runner caught trying to stretch a single into a double moved her to third with one out. A line drive double off the right-field wall plated one run, and a bouncing ball single up the middle scored another to put the Lakers ahead 2-0. Later in the frame with runners at first and second, the Lakers capped the inning with a three-run homer to right-center to make it 5-0 heading into the bottom of the frame.
- GVSU was back for more in the second. Two singles put runners at first and second to lead off the frame, and a three-run blast to center extended the lead to 8-0.
- Grand Valley tacked on in the fifth. A leadoff double and error put runners at second and third with one out. A fielder's choice ground ball scored the ninth run of the day for the Lakers.
- The Timberwolves cut into the deficit and made it a ballgame in the fifth. Alexis Koehler walked and Samantha Slick doubled to put runners at second and third with no out. Lauren Castellon kept the game alive with a three-run homer to right, cutting Grand Valley's lead down to 9-3.
- Later in the fifth, Mary-Kate Hines singled and Delanie Grundman walked to put runners at first and third with one out. Mikala Gronback then brought them both home with a three-run blast down the right field line and made it a 9-6 ballgame heading into the sixth.
- The Lakers responded immediately in their ensuing at-bats. After an error to lead-off the inning, a two-run bomb over the left-center field fence rebuilt the GVSU lead back to five. The Lakers held firm on this edge, as NU dropped both games of the GLIAC doubleheader.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 6/6/3, Grand Valley: 11/13/0
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 6, Grand Valley: 4
- Winning Pitcher – Samantha Gehrls (9-2): 7 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 7 K, 5 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Shayna Frank (8-8): 1.1 IP, 9 H, 8 R, K, 0 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Gronback cracked her first home run of her collegiate career in the fifth.
- Northwood will travel to Ferris State on Saturday (April 27) for a doubleheader against the Bulldogs. First pitch is set for Noon.