OVERVIEW – FERRIS STATE
SCORES: Ferris State 8, Northwood Timberwolves 7 (nine innings)/Northwood 9, Ferris State 4
RECORDS: Northwood 25-24-1, 15-15 GLIAC/Ferris State 20-32, 11-21 GLIAC
LOCATION: Big Rapids, Michigan
RECAP: Northwood splits doubleheader at Ferris State Saturday afternoon (April 27), dropping an 8-7 contest in nine innings in game one before taking game two 9-4
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Ferris State plated a pair in the first inning for the early lead.
- Northwood responded in the top of the fourth inning, starting with a Grace Dutoi two-run double.
- Chase Schulz singled home Dutoi give Northwood a 2-0 lead.
- The Timberwovles expanded their lead in the fifth on a throwing error and a Karli Godlewski RBI single that made the score 5-2.
- Ferris State scored one in the fifth and three in three in the sixth to take the lead 6-5.
- Northwood came through in the seventh to tie the game thanks to a Dutoi RBI single.
- The score remained tied until the ninth when Godlewski gave Northwood the lead on a sacrifice fly.
- The Bulldogs made one more comeback in the ninth, scoring two runs in the bottom of the inning to earn the walk-off win.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 7/13/0, Ferris State: 8/15/1
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 10, Ferris State: 6
- Winning Pitcher – Abby Highway (12-14): 5 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 4 H
- Losing Pitcher – Taylor Wright (6-3): 8 2/3 IP, 15 H, 8 R, 2 BB, 9 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood took the lead in the third inning, starting with an Abby Joseph RBI double.
- Torriya Gray-Baker followed with a double to left center to make it 2-0.
- The Bulldogs responded with one in the third and three in the fourth to take the lead at 4-2.
- Northwood came through with the biggest inning of the game in the fifth, starting with a Dutoi two-run triple.
- Culps followed with a two-run homer to give the Timberwolves back the lead at 6-4.
- Julia Gross then hit a solo home run of her own, which was followed by a Lauren Castellon RBI single.
- Taylor Schmitt finished the seven-run fifth inning by walking with the bases loaded to make the score 9-4.
- April Bennett came in relief in the bottom of the fifth and held the Bulldogs off the board in the final three innings to close out the victory.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 9/16/0, Ferris State: 4/10/1
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 8, Ferris State: 6
- Winning Pitcher – Shayna Frank (9-8): 7 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 7 K, 5 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Connor Proctor (7-17): 1 IP, 4 H, 4 R (3 ER)
- Save – April Bennett (4): 3 IP, H, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Joseph: 4-5, 2 R, RBI
- Dutoi: 2-3, 2 RBIs
- Tara Gross: 3-5, 2 R
- Gray-Baker: 2-4, RBI
- Northwood will finish the regular season with a doubleheader at Purdue Northwest Sunday (April 28). First pitch is set for 2 p.m. Eastern time.