OVERVIEW – MALONE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 71, Malone Pioneers 61
RECORDS: Northwood (3-2) Malone (1-1)
LOCATION: Osbourne Center – Canton, Ohio
RECAP: Northwood leads the final 30 minutes of play while posting a 71-61 road win over Malone Wednesday afternoon (November 22).
- Malone led the majority of the tightly-contested opening quarter, with the biggest lead for either team standing at four points.
- A Karli Herrington layup in the final seconds of the first gave Northwood a 20-18 lead after one.
- Both teams shot well in the opening quarter, each finishing at 50 percent overall (NU – 9-18, MU – 5-10). Malone made two more 3-pointers (2-0) and four more free throws (6-2) to stay close to the Timberwolves.
- Northwood controlled the opening six minutes of the second quarter, out-scoring Malone 15-4 to open up a 35-22 lead.
- The Pioneers fought back, scoring the final five points of the half to send the game to the break with NU leading 35-27.
- The Timberwolves completely dominated the period, outscoring Malone 21-6 to lead 38-16 at the half.
- Northwood went 5-12 from the floor in the second (41.7 percent) while holding the Pioneers to just 3-19 (15.8 percent).
- Malone came out strong in the third quarter as well, getting the lead down to 39-33 in just over two minutes.
- The Timberwolves responded with seven straight points, making the lead 46-33.
- Northwood's lead stood at nine (52-43) heading to the fourth quarter.
- NU continued to shot the ball well in the third, sinking 60 percent of their attempts from the field (9-15). The Pioneers shot the ball well also, finishing at 58.3 percent (7-12).
- Northwood continued to out-shoot Malone in the quarter, as NU finished the third at 46.7 percent (7-15) compared to MU at 29.4 percent (5-17).
- The Timberwolves scored the first two points of the fourth to go up 54-43, only to see Malone went on a 10-2 run to get within three at 56-53.
- After a Northwood timeout, the Timberwolves got back in control of the game, scoring seven straight points to get the lead back to 10 at 63-53.
- The Pioneers got within six a couple of times in the final minutes, but Northwood went 4-4 from the foul line in the final 31 seconds to close out the win.
- Northwood shot 40.0 percent from the floor in the fourth (6-15) and 6-6 from the foul line. Malone shot 42.9 percent (6-14) from the floor and 4-5 from the line.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Malone .317 (19-60), Northwood .450 (27-60)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Malone .263 (5-19), Northwood .176 (3-17)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Malone .857 (18-21), Northwood 1.000 (14-14)
- REBOUNDS: Malone 41 (16 offensive), Northwood 34 (Eight offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Malone 12/17, Northwood 11/12
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Malone 28, Northwood 38
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Malone 8, Northwood 17
- BENCH POINTS: Malone 16, Northwood 21
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Lindsay Orwat: 21 points, 7-15 from the floor, 6-6 from the foul line
- Maddy Seeley: 16 points, six assists, three rebounds
- Karli Herrington: 13 points, six rebounds, five blocked shots
- The Timberwolves will open Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference play (GLIAC) next Thursday (December 30) at Northern Michigan. Game time is set for 8 p.m.