OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 78, Lake Superior State Lakers 61
RECORDS: Northwood (6-3, 3-1 GLIAC), Ferris State (0-8, 0-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood posts its sixth win in the last seven games in a 78-61 win over Lake Superior State Saturday afternoon (December 9).
- Northwood got off to a solid start, netting nine of the first 14 points to lead 9-5 halfway through the first.
- After a subsequent 8-4 run gave the Timberwolves a 17-9 lead with 2:20 left, Lake Superior State pressed back. Six consecutive points cut the lead to two with just over one minute to play. Northwood was able to answer back with four straight to take a 21-16 lead after one.
- The Timberwolves shot 38.5 percent from the floor in the first (5-13), while the Lakers finished at 40 percent (4-10). Both teams were perfect from the foul line (Northwood – 8-8, Lake Superior State – 6-6).
- Lake Superior State provided another response, cutting the Northwood lead down to two at 29-27 with 5:15 left in the half.
- The Timberwolves were able to grab the momentum back down the stretch. After the Lakers brought the lead down to 33-32, Northwood went on a 10-0 run to close down the half and bring their lead to 43-32 at the break.
- NU bounced back from the floor in the second, shooting 52.6 percent on their attempts (10-19). LSSU ended up shooting 33.3 (5-15) in the quarter.
- The Timberwolves maintained their lead through the first five minutes of the stanza, extending the advantage to 54-41 with 4:45 left.
- Northwood took control of the contest in the latter half of the third, going up 66-47 heading to the fourth quarter.
- Northwood continued to progressively shoot better, knocking down 60.0 percent of their attempts from the floor (9-15). Lake Superior State had their best shooting period of the game, converting on 63.6 percent of their shots from the field (7-11).
- The Timberwolves opened the quarter by extending their lead past the 20-point plateau. The spread would hover around that number for the rest of the game.
- Both teams shot 25 percent from the field in the final stanza. Northwood went 4-for-16, and Lake Superior State finished at 3-for-12.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .396 (19-48), Northwood .444 (28-63)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .250 (3-12), Northwood .273 (6-22)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .870 (20-23), Northwood .941 (16-17)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Superior State 34 (7 offensive), Northwood 32 (8 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 8/15, Northwood 17/4
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Lake Superior State 32, Northwood 36
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 4, Northwood 20
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Lindsay Orwat: 28 points (10-10 from FT), six assists, two steals
- Maddy Seeley: 16 points
- Karli Herrington: Nine points, four rebounds, two blocks
- Northwood has won nine straight against Lake Superior State dating back to 1/12/13
- Orwat had her fourth performance of 20 points or more in nine games this season.
- After dropping their first two games of the season, Northwood has now won six of their last seven.
- The Timberwolves will host Saginaw Valley State Saturday (December 16) for a game against the Cardinals. Game time is set for 6 p.m.