OVERVIEW – TIFFIN
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 87, Tiffin Dragons 64
RECORDS: Northwood (10-6, 6-4 GLIAC), Tiffin (6-12, 2-8 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, MI.
RECAP: Northwood returns to form in 87-64 win over Tiffin Thursday night (January 18).
- Northwood set the tone early on with seven of the contest's first nine points. The run would continue halfway through the opening quarter, as the Timberwolves' lead swelled to eight at 17-9.
- Stretching their edge to as many as 11, the Timberwolves were able to maintain a double-digit lead by the end of the stanza, going up 29-19.
- Northwood shot 52.6 percent from the floor in the first (10-19), while Tiffin finished at 50.0 percent (7-14).
- The second saw Northwood maintain their hot start and further build on their lead. In front 36-25 with 5:17 left, the Timberwolves rattled off a 12-4 run to increase their edge over the Dragons to 19.
- That lead would remain at 19 as the Northwood defense held Tiffin to five points through the final five minutes to give the Timberwolves a 50-31 lead at the break.
- The Timberwolves took advantage of the Dragons' cold quarter. NU shot a crisp 56.3 percent on their attempts (9-16) from the field. TU sunk just 30.8 percent of their attempts (4-13).
- Northwood held the Dragons off the board for the first three minutes of the second half, going up by as many as 23 to start the third. Tiffin would show some life from there, going on a 10-1 run to cut the lead down to 14 (55-41) with 3:04 left.
- The Timberwolves took back the momentum rather suddenly with a 11-2 run to build their lead back up to 23 at 66-43. The spread would remain at a comfortable 19 points heading into the final stanza.
- Northwood slowed down in the third and shot 37.5 percent from the floor (6-16), while Tiffin finished at 46.7 percent (7-15).
- Northwood kept rolling in the final quarter. A 14-6 run put an exclamation point on the evening. The eight-point swing extended the lead to 28, and the Timberwolves cruised to a victory from there.
- NU ended the game shooting 36.4 percent from the floor in the fourth (8-22), while the Dragons finished at 38.5 percent (5-13).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Tiffin .418 (23-55), Northwood .452 (33-73)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Tiffin .450 (9-20), Northwood .367 (11-30)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Tiffin .643 (9-14), Northwood .833 (10-12)
- REBOUNDS: Tiffin 25 (4 offensive), Northwood 50 (20 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Tiffin 8/11, Northwood 24/11
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Tiffin 26, Northwood 34
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Tiffin 16, Northwood 6
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Tiffin 0, Northwood 14
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Tiffin 2, Northwood 21
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Lindsay Orwat: 18 points (4-8 from 3-Ptr), 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal
- Taylor Craymer: 15 points (3-4 from 3-Ptr), 10 rebounds,
- Karli Herrington: 16 points, 9 rebounds, 1 block
- The Timberwolves have now won four consecutive matchups against the Dragons after dropping the previous three.
- Northwood leads the all-time series between the programs, winning 12 of the 16 matchups.
- The Timberwolves will host No. 1 Ashland Saturday (January 20) for a game against the Eagles. Game time is set for 1 p.m.