OVERVIEW – ASHLAND
SCORE: No. 1 Ashland Eagles 116, Northwood Timberwolves 75
RECORDS: Northwood (10-7, 6-5 GLIAC), Ashland (19-0, 11-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Top-ranked Ashland gets rolling from beyond the arc and rolls to a 113-75 victory over Northwood Saturday afternoon (January 27).
- Ashland quickly erased Northwood's early 4-2 lead and took control early on. An 18-3 run gave the Eagles a 13-point edge halfway through the period and would set the tone for the rest of the game.
- The lead swelled to as high as 17, which was where the lead stood after the opening quarter (32-15)
- Northwood shot 38.5 percent from the floor in the first (5-13), while Ashland finished at 52.2 percent (12-23).
- Both teams had good shooting quarters from beyond the arc – NU went 4-9 (44.4 percent) while Ashland was 6-9 (66.7).
- The lead would continue to grow for Ashland as an 18-5 run propelled the Eagles to a 50-20 lead by the 5:15 mark.
- Ashland, who made four more 3-pointers in in the quarter, led by as many as 42 in the half.
- The score at the break stood at 66-26.
- The Timberwolves shot 35.7 percent on their attempts (5-14) from the field. The Eagles rose continued their impressive display, sinking 65.0 percent of their shots (13-20) overall and 50.0 percent from 3-point range (5-10).
- Ashland scored the first seven points of the second half to make it a 47-point game.
- The Timberwolves responded with a run, going on a 13-4 run to cut the lead down to 38 by the midway point. Ashland would subsequently build the lead back up to 45 (90-45) heading into the final stanza.
- NU bounced back from the field by going 53.8 percent on their attempts (7-13) in the third. AU, as the case was for most of the day, were even better, converting 66.7 percent of their attempts (10-15) overall and 80.0 percent from beyond the arc (4-5).
- The Eagles reached the 100-point mark nearly four minutes into the final period.
- Northwood played well in the final quarter, out-scoring Ashland 30-23.
- The Timberwolves finished the day on a solid note from the field sinking 50.0 percent of their attempts (8-16) overall and from 3-point range (6-12).
- The Eagles went 7-13 from the floor (53.8 percent) and 3-5 from 3-point range.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ashland .606 (43-71), Northwood .446 (25-56)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ashland .633 (19-30), Northwood .419 (13-31)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ashland .917 (11-12), Northwood .706 (12-17)
- REBOUNDS: Ashland 37 (12 offensive), Northwood 26 (Nine offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Ashland 25/12, Northwood 19/21
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Ashland 44, Northwood 22
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Ashland 30, Northwood 12
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Maddy Seeley: 22 points (5-12 3-point range), three assists
- Lindsay Orwat: 11 points, seven rebounds
- Karli Herrington: 10 points
- Ashland has won an NCAA Division II-record 56 straight games.
- Maddy Seeley finished with her fourth 20-point game of the season.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Saginaw Valley Saturday (January 27) for a game against the Cardinals. Game time is set for 4 p.m