OVERVIEW – FERRIS STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 77, Ferris State Bulldogs 69
RECORDS: Northwood (12-7, 8-5 GLIAC), Ferris State (11-10, 5-8 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Wink Arena – Big Rapids, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood used a 28-3 second-half run to earn a 77-69 road win over Ferris State Thursday night (February 1).
- Ferris State was the better team early on, opening up a 21-10 lead with just over two minutes remaining in the first quarter.
- Senior guard Maddy Seeley then went on a personal 9-0 run for the Timberwolves, hitting three 3-pointers in less than 80 seconds to cut the advantage down to 21-19 at the end of one.
- Northwood shot 40.0 percent overall in the first (6-15) but went 4-8 from beyond the arc.
- The Bulldogs were strong offensively to start the game, going 10-15 from the floor in the first quarter (66.7 percent).
- The Timberwolves led by as many as five in the second quarter, but foul trouble was an issue for Northwood – NU had four starters pick up two fouls in the opening half.
- FSU made a jumper as time expired to give the Bulldogs a 37-34 lead at halftime.
- Northwood struggled offensively in the second, finishing at 28.6 percent overall (4-14) and from 3-point range (2-7).
- Ferris State shot 46.7 percent from the floor (7-15) in the quarter.
- The Bulldogs came out hot again early in the third quarter, scoring the first six points in 1:48 to take their biggest lead of the night at 43-34.
- This is when the key portion of the contest began – over the next 9:41 of game time, the Timberwolves posted a 28-3 run.
- That stretch, which spanned from early in the third quarter into early in the fourth quarter, saw Northwood go from being down nine to up 16.
- By the end of the third quarter, the Timberwolves were up 56-46.
- After going 3-6 to start the third, Ferris State missed their final 11 shots to finish the quarter at 17.6 percent overall.
- Northwood ended up shooting 50.0 percent overall (7-14) and 57.1 percent from 3-point range (4-7) in the quarter.
- Northwood made two more 3-pointers early in the fourth to take their biggest lead of the night at 62-46.
- NU's lead stood at 14 (65-51) with less than five minutes to go when the Bulldogs fought back.
- FSU scored 16 of the next 22 points to make it a 71-67 lead with 1:18 remaining.
- Northwood closed out the game with strong free throw shooting, going 6-6 from the line in the final 41 seconds to earn the win.
- The Timberwolves shot 45.5 percent in the fourth (5-11), which included going 3-4 from the 3-point line. NU also went 8-10 from the foul line.
- Ferris State went 8-20 from the floor in the fourth (40.0 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .418 (28-67), Northwood .407 (22-54)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .235 (4-17), Northwood .500 (13-26)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .529 (9-17), Northwood .769 (20-26)
- REBOUNDS: Ferris State 37 (11 offensive), Northwood 39 (seven offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Ferris State 20/12, Northwood 13/16
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Ferris State 34, Northwood 16
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Ferris State 11, Northwood 16
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Ferris State14, Northwood 14
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Lindsay Orwat: 28 points, 8-14 from the floor, 5-6 from 3-point range
- Maddy Seeley: 11 points in 18 minutes
- Adrianna Stolicker: 11 points, 3-6 from 3-point range.
- Northwood has now won 10 straight games against Ferris State – the last time FSU defeated NU was February 14, 2013.
- NU head coach Jeff Curtis is now 15-15 against Ferris State for his career. He started 4-14 in his first 18 games against the Bulldogs but has won 10 of the last 11 games versus FSU. His first win against Ferris State during the 2007-08 season snapped a 24-game losing streak for Northwood against the Bulldogs.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Lake Superior State Saturday (February 3). Game time is set for 1 p.m.