OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 77, Lake Superior State Lakers 58
RECORDS: Northwood (13-7, 9-5 GLIAC), Lake Superior State (2-17, 1-13 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Cooper Gymnasium – Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood leads from the start in cruising to a 77-58 road win over Lake Superior State Saturday afternoon (February 3).
- Northwood made their first shot of the game to take a lead they would hold the rest of the way.
- NU held leads of 7-2 and 20-4 before the Lakers scored the final four points of the quarter to make the score 20-8 after one.
- Northwood was 7-13 overall from the floor (53.8 percent) and 4-10 from 3-point range in the quarter.
- LSSU ended the frame at 44.4 percent (4-9) overall and 0-3 from the 3-point line.
- After scoring on their opening possession of the second quarter, the Northwood lead stayed between 14 and 20 points the remainder of the opening half.
- The Timberwolves got the advantage up to 20 points on three separate occasions before taking a 41-22 lead to the locker room.
- Northwood continued its strong offensive performance in the second, going 7-14 overall (50.0 percent) and 5-9 from 3-point range (55.6 percent).
- Lake Superior State picked up their offense in the second quarter, going 6-12 overall (50.0 percent) and 2-4 from beyond the arc.
- Northwood continued to stay in control in the third quarter, not allowing LSSU to get any closer than 16 points.
- NU led by as many as 25 before heading to the final quarter with a 61-38 advantage.
- Northwood went 8-15 from the floor in the third (53.3 percent), compared to the Lakers at 6-13 (46.2 percent).
- LSSU played better in the fourth quarter, but 19 points was as close as the Lakers got.
- NU was just 4-12 from the floor in the fourth but did connect on all eight of their free throw attempts.
- Lake Superior State went 7-11 from the floor in the fourth (63.6 percent) but miss three of eight free throw attempts (62.5 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .511 (23-45), Northwood .481 (26-54)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .267 (4-15), Northwood .321 (9-28)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .667 (8-12), Northwood .889 (16-18)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Superior State 23 (three offensive), Northwood 27 (six offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 14/14, Northwood 17/4
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Lake Superior State 30, Northwood 28
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 4, Northwood 20
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Lake Superior State 4, Northwood 7
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Lindsay Orwat: 25 points, four assists, 10-15 from the floor, 4-8 from 3-point range
- Karli Herrington: 21 points (career-high), seven rebounds, 6-11 from the floor, 9-10 from the foul line.
- Maddy Seeley: 13 points
- Northwood has now won 10 straight games against Lake Superior State – the last time LSSU defeated NU was January 12, 2013.
- After going 9-19 from 3-point range in the first half (47.4 percent), Northwood was 0-9 from beyond the arc in the second half.
- The Timberwolves will host Northern Michigan Thursday (February 8). Game time is set for 6 p.m.