OVERVIEW – MICHIGAN TECH
SCORE: #16 Michigan Tech Huskies 86, Northwood Timberwolves 81
RECORDS: Northwood (14-8, 10-6 GLIAC), Northern Michigan (20-3, 14-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood makes big fourth quarter comeback but falls short in an 86-81 loss to No. 16 Michigan Tech Saturday afternoon (February 10).
- Both teams traded leads and split the first 20 points midway through the first.
- The trend would continue for the rest of the opening stanza, with Northwood 20-19 lead after one.
- Northwood made 46.7 percent of their attempts from the floor (7-15), while Michigan Tech hit 50.0 percent of their shots (8-16).
- NU made four free throws to one for MTU for the Timberwolves to earn the lead.
- Northwood led 25-23 with under eight minutes remaining in the quarter when Michigan Tech began the key stretch of the game.
- The Huskies out-scored the Timberwolves 20-10 the remainder of the half to take a 43-35 lead to the locker room.
- While Northwood had a good shooting quarter, going 6-11 (54.5 percent), MTU was even better at 62.5 percent (10-16).
- Michigan Tech continued to control play throughout the third quarter, out-scoring Northwood 23-10, which extended their advantage to 66-45 heading to the final quarter.
- The Timberwolves went just 3-11 from the floor in the third (27.3 percent), while the Huskies stayed hot at 68.8 percent (11-16).
- Michigan Tech got the lead up to as many as 24 (69-45) with under 9:30 to go
- Northwood made a furious comeback, out-scoring Michigan Tech 30-10 to cut the lead down to 79-75 with a little over a minute remaining.
- The Timberwolves got within three in the final seconds, but MTU went 7-8 from the line in the final moments to close out the win.
- Northwood ended the game red-hot, going 13-16 in the fourth (81.3 percent). Michigan Tech took a step back and made 46.2 percent of their floor attempts (6-13).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .574 (35-61), Northwood .547 (29-53)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .389 (7-18), Northwood .333 (6-18)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .818 (9-11), Northwood .850 (17-20)
- REBOUNDS: Michigan Tech 25 (7 offensive), Northwood 27 (7 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Michigan Tech 16/11, Northwood 15/14
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Michigan Tech 46, Northwood 40
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Michigan Tech 19, Northwood 18
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- The Timberwolves will host Davenport Thursday (February 15). Game time is set for 6 p.m.