OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northern Michigan Wildcats 55, Northwood Timberwolves 47
RECORDS: Northwood (1-7, 0-1 GLIAC), Northern Michigan (4-5, 1-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Berry Events Center - Marquette, Mich.
RECAP: The third quarter proves to be the key in the Northwood women's basketball 55-47 loss at Northern Michigan Thursday night (December 5).
- The first quarter was extremely tight – the teams stayed within two points of each other all 10 minutes.
- NMU ended up with a 12-10 lead after one.
- The Timberwolves shot 33.3 percent overall (3-9) and from 3-point range (1-3) in the first quarter.
- Northern Michigan shot 38.5 percent from the floor (5-13) while making 2-7 from three (28.6 percent).
- The Timberwolves put together their best stretch of the game in the second quarter.
- A 10-0 run in the quarter gave NU their biggest lead of the day at 25-17 with 3:24 remaining in the half.
- The Timberwolves eventually led 29-23 at the break.
- Northwood had a strong offensive quarter in the second, going 7-11 overall (63.6 percent) and 2-4 from beyond the arc (50.0 percent).
- NMU went 5-14 overall (35.7 percent) and 1-3 from 3-point range in the second (33.3 percent).
- The third quarter proved to be the key part of the game.
- Northwood hit a 3-pointer on their first possession to make the score 31-25, but that is when the Wildcats made their push.
- The Timberwolves scored just two more points the remainder of the quarter, during which NMU out-scored Northwood 24-5 to take a 47-33 lead to the fourth quarter.
- NU was just 2-13 from the floor in the third, including going 1-11 over the final 9:30 of the quarter.
- The Wildcats were strong on offense in the frame, making 7-12 overall (58.3 percent) while going 9-11 from the foul line.
- The Timberwolves fought back in the fourth, getting back within seven at 51-44 with the ball in the final two minutes.
- But a missed 3-pointer from Northwood ended their chance, as NU got no closer the remainder of the game.
- NU went 4-11 from the flour in the fourth (36.4 percent) while going 5-6 from the foul line (83.3 percent).
- Northern Michigan fell back to 25.0 percent in the final quarter (3-12).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .392 (20-51), Northwood .364 (16-44)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .250 (4-16), Northwood .250 (4-16)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .733 (11-15), Northwood .917 (11-12)
- REBOUNDS: Northern Michigan 29 (Nine offensive), Northwood 24 (Two offensive)
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Northern Michigan 22, Northwood 24
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 11, Northwood 6
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Northern Michigan 7, Northwood 5
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- The Timberwolves will travel to Michigan Tech Saturday (December 7). Game time is set for Noon.