OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORE: Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 58, Northwood Timberwolves 52
RECORDS: Northwood (1-9, 0-3 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley (6-5, 2-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Saginaw Valley plays better down the stretch to defeat Northwood women's basketball 58-52 Sunday evening (December 15).
- The fast-paced opening quarter was evenly-played – the largest lead for either team was four points.
- SVSU scored on the final possession of the quarter to make the score 19-17 Northwood after on.
- The Timberwolves ended the opening 10 minutes shooting the ball well, going 8-16 overall (50.0 percent) and 3-6 from 3-point range (3-6).
- Saginaw Valley also shot the ball well in quarter, going 8-13 overall (61.5 percent).
- Saginaw Valley took the lead at 22-19 and maintained that lead the remainder of the quarter.
- SVSU led by as many as eight before scoring the final four points of the half to lead 34-27 at the break.
- After shooting well in the first quarter, the Timberwolves fell back to 18.8 percent in the second (3-16) overall and 11.1 percent from 3-point range (1-9)
- SVSU had a solid second, going 6-13 overall (46.2 percent.
- Saginaw Valley pushed their lead to 11 at 38-27 before the Timberwolves made a push.
- Northwood fought back to cut the SVSU lead to 45-43 heading to the fourth.
- Both teams struggled shooting in the third – Northwood ended at 4-14 overall (28.6 percent) but did go 5-6 from the foul line (83.3 percent).
- The Cardinals were 4-11 from the floor in the third quarter (36.4 percent)
- The two-point margin to start the fourth quarter was as close as the Timberwolves got.
- Northwood cut the SVSU lead to four at 56-52 with 1:15 remaining, but that proved to the last points of the game for Northwood.
- Northwood's offense struggled in the final quarter, going 4-18 overall (22.2 percent while missing all seven of their 3-point attempts.
- Saginaw Valley was 5-12 from the floor in the fourth (41.7 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .469 (23-49), Northwood .297 (19-64)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .294 (5-17), Northwood .226 (7-31)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .583 (7-12), Northwood .700 (7-10)
- REBOUNDS: Saginaw Valley 37 (four offensive), Northwood 39 (15 offensive)
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Saginaw Valley 34, Northwood 24
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Saginaw Valley 8, Northwood 12
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Saginaw Valley 1, Northwood 11
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- The Timberwolves will host Lawrence Tech in the final game before the holiday break Saturday (December 21). Game time is set for 1 p.m.