OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 52, Lake Superior State 42
RECORDS: Northwood (3-12, 1-6 GLIAC), Lake Superior State (6-8, 2-5 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood women's basketball finishes the game strong to earn a 52-42 win over Lake Superior State Saturday afternoon (January 11).
- Northwood scored the first five points of the game and maintained the lead the remainder of the first half.
- NU held their biggest advantage of the opening quarter at the end, leading 15-8 after one.
- The Timberwolves went 5-12 from the floor in the first (41.7 percent) while going 2-6 from beyond the 3-point line (33.3 percent).
- NU held the Lakers to 3-10 shooting in the first quarter (30.0 percent), but LSSU did go 2-3 from 3-point range (66.7 percent).
- NU got their lead to as many as 10 early in the second when Lake Superior State began to chip away at the lead.
- The Timberwolves were up 24-14 with 5:39 remaining in the quarter but were able to score just two points the rest of the way.
- The Lakers out-scored Northwood 8-2 in that stretch to make the NU lead 26-22 at the break.
- LSSU was 4-12 from the floor in the second (33.3 percent). The Lakers earned the advantage in the quarter thanks to going 5-6 from the foul line (83.3 percent)
- Northwood also went 4-12 from the floor in the frame.
- The Lakers kept the momentum going into the third quarter, taking their first lead of the day at 30-29.
- Northwood was the better team the remainder of the quarter, eventually taking a 36-33 lead heading to the fourth.
- Lake Superior State went 4-13 (30.8 percent) in the third) from the floor while missing all three of their 3-point attempts.
- Northwood struggled in the third, going 2-12 overall (16.7 percent). Both of their makes did come from beyond the arc. NU also made four free throws in the quarter.
- LSSU scored the opening basket of the fourth to cut the lead to one (36-35), but that proved to be as close as the Lakers would get.
- Lake Superior State went over six minutes without a basket at that point, during which the Timberwolves extended their lead to 44-35.
- NU's 10-point lead at the end of the game matched their biggest of the day.
- Lake Superior State went 4-12 in the fourth (33.3 percent) while going 1-4 from beyond the arc (25.0 percent).
- Northwood was just 4-17 from the floor in the fourth (23.5 percent) but did go 2-4 from 3-point range (50.0 percent) and 6-7 from the foul line (85.7 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .319 (15-47), Northwood .283 (15-53)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .286 (4-14), Northwood .333 (8-24)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .889 (8-9), Northwood .737 (14-19)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Superior State 30 (Two offensive), Northwood 43 (13 offensive)
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Lake Superior State 20, Northwood 10
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 12, Northwood 8
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Lake Superior State 4, Northwood 8
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Lake Superior State 0, Northwood 12
- BENCH POINTS: Lake Superior State 3, Northwood 20
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Makenzie Todd: 14 points, 5-12 from the floor, 3-7 from 3-point range
- Adele Kemp: 10 points, 10 rebounds – first career double-double, first double-double of the season for Northwood
- Kenzie Seeley: Nine points, three rebounds, three assists
- Alli Keyser: Six points, five rebounds, four assists
- The Timberwolves will travel to Grand Valley State Thursday (January 16). Game time is set for 6 p.m.