OVERVIEW – #4 GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORE: #4 Grand Valley State Lakers 74, Northwood Timberwolves 35
RECORDS: Northwood (3-12, 1-6 GLIAC), Grand Valley State (14-1, 6-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: GVSU Fieldhouse Arena – Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: No. 4 Grand Valley State controls the game in a 74-35 win over Northwood women's basketball Thursday night (January 16).
- Northwood scored the first two points of the game, but it was all Lakers the remainder of the quarter.
- The Lakers scored 12 straight points and matched their biggest lead of the quarter with an 18-6 lead after one.
- The Timberwolves were just 3-16 from the floor in the first (18.8 percent) while missing all seven of their 3-point attempts.
- GVSU finished the first at 38.5 percent overall 5-13) while going 2-7 from beyond the arc (28.6 percent) and making all six of their free throws.
- GVSU pushed the lead to 29-9 before the Timberwolves finished the quarter strong.
- Northwood outscored the Lakers 8-2 the remainder of the quarter to make the score 31-17 at the break.
- Grand Valley State went 6-12 from the floor in the second (50.0 percent) while going 1-5 from the 3-point line.
- Northwood was 4-13 overall (30.8 percent) but did go 3-8 from 3-point range.
- The Lakers took control of the game in the third quarter thanks to controlling the play on both ends of the floor.
- GVSU out-scored Northwood 21-6 in the quarter, pushing their lead to as many as 32 before sending the game to the fourth with the score 52-23.
- Grand Valley State was hot offensively in the quarter, going 7-10 from the floor (70.0 percent) and 2-2 from 3-point range.
- The Timberwolves struggled from the floor in the third, going 1-10 overall and 0-6 from 3-point range.
- The Lakers maintained control in the fourth quarter, out-scoring Northwood 22-12 in the final 10 minutes.
- GVSU's 39-point lead at the end of the game was their biggest of the day.
- Grand Valley State was 9-17 from the floor overall in the fourth (52.9 percent). The Lakers also went 3-6 from beyond the arc.
- Northwood did shoot the ball better in the fourth, going 4-8 overall (50.0 percent) and 3-4 from the foul line (75.0 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .519 (27-52), Northwood .255 (12-47)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .400 (8-20), Northwood .167 (4-24)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .857 (12-14), Northwood .700 (7-10)
- REBOUNDS: Grand Valley State 35 (Eight offensive), Northwood 26 (Eight offensive)
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Grand Valley State 38, Northwood 14
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 24, Northwood 6
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Grand Valley State 8, Northwood 4
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- The Timberwolves will host Davenport Saturday (January 18). Game time is set for 4 p.m.