OVERVIEW – DAVENPORT
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 64, Davenport Panthers 39
RECORDS: Northwood (3-12, 1-6 GLIAC), Davenport (5-11, 0-8 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: After a slow start, Northwood dominates the final three quarters in a 64-39 win over Davenport Saturday afternoon (January 18).
- Davenport was the better team early, as the Timberwolves came out sluggish and struggled to take care of the ball.
- The Panthers scored the first 10 points of the game and led by as many as 11 in the opening minutes.
- NU made a push to finish the quarter to make the DU lead 16-11 after one.
- Davenport shot 36.8 percent from the floor in the quarter (7-19) while going 1-6 from 3-ponit range (16.7 percent).
- Northwood's field goal percentage was solid in the quarter (44.9 percent – 4-9), but turnovers were costly for the Timberwolves. Eleven NU turnovers resulted in 13 Davenport points in the opening 10 minutes.
- Northwood's ball security was much better in the second quarter, which allowed them to take control of the game.
- NU took their first lead of the day at 19-18 and maintained control the remainder of the quarter, eventually out-scoring the Panthers 18-6 to take a 29-22 lead at halftime.
- Davenport struggled offensively in the quarter, going 3-12 overall (25.0 percent).
- Northwood was finished at 31.6 percent (6-19), but did make three 3-pointers and three free throws.
- Northwood's offense had one of its best quarters of the season in the third, allowing them to expand their lead.
- Davenport hit three straight 3-pointers early in the quarter to cut the Timberwolves lead to 35-31, only to see Northwood finished the quarter on an 18-4 push to make the score 53-35 after three.
- Davenport was 5-11 from the floor in the third and hit three of the four 3-pointers they would make on the day in the quarter.
- NU was 8-15 overall (53.3 percent) while going 4-7 from 3-point range (57.1 percent) on their way to 24 points in the third.
- The story of the fourth quarter was the Northwood defense, as the Timberwolves cruised to the victory.
- Northwood's lead was at least 18 the entire quarter and their 25 point edge at the end of the game was their biggest of the game.
- Davenport did not made a field goal in the fourth quarter, going 0-9 overall. DU's four points all came from the foul line.
- Northwood was 4-16 from the floor (25.0 percent) bud did go 3-4 from the foul line (75.0 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Davenport .294 (15-51), Northwood .373 (22-59)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Davenport .267 (4-15), Northwood .286 (8-28)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Davenport .625 (5-8), Northwood .632 (12-19)
- REBOUNDS: Davenport 34 (Seven offensive), Northwood 44 (13 offensive)
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Davenport 17, Northwood 22
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Davenport 24, Northwood 6
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Davenport 5, Northwood 6
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Davenport 2, Northwood 19
- BENCH POINTS: Davenport 0, Northwood 31
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- The Timberwolves will travel to Ashland Thursday (January 22). Game time is set for 5:30 p.m.