OVERVIEW – #2 ASHLAND
SCORE: Ashland Eagles 81, Northwood Timberwolves 58
RECORDS: Northwood (4-14, 2-8 GLIAC), Ashland (18-0, 10-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Kate Gymnasium – Ashland, Ohio
RECAP: No. 3 Ashland takes control in the second and third quarters in 81-58 win over Northwood women's basketball Thursday night (January 23).
- The opening quarter was fast-paced and wide open.
- Northwood scored the first three points of the game, only to see the Eagles respond with a big run, scoring 16 of the next 18 points to go up 16-5.
- NU responded with eight straight points to cut the margin to 13 before the Eagles eventually led 26-20 after one.
- Northwood was 8-18 from the floor in the first quarter (44.4 percent) while going 4-6 from 3-point range (66.7 percent).
- Ashland went 11-18 overall in the first (61.1 percent).
- Ashland pushed their advantage out to 41-22 with 4:13 remaining in the second quarter.
- Northwood hung around the remainder of the opening half, making the score 45-27 at the break.
- Ashland was 8-17 overall in the second (47.1 percent) while going 1-4 from 3-point range (25.0 percent).
- After making four 3-pointers in the first quarter, the Timberwolves missed their only attempt in the second. They finished the second at 30.0 percent overall (3-10).
- Northwood cut the lead to 16 early in the third quarter, but that was as close as the Timberwolves would get the remainder of the way.
- The Eagles pushed their lead to as many as 27 before taking a 63-38 lead to the final quarter.
- AU was 4-10 overall in the third (40.0 percent), while Northwood was 4-13 in the quarter (30.8 percent).
- Ashland held the advantage from the foul line in the quarter, making 10 free throws to three for Northwood.
- Both offenses came out hot in the final quarter, as the Timberwolves were 4-5 from the floor while Ashland was 6-7 to start the fourth
- After the lead got to 29 points, Northwood got the margin within 21 before the game ended with a 23 point deficit.
- Ashland ended the quarter at 47.1 percent (8-17) while making 2-3 from beyond the arc (66.7 percent).
- Northwood had its best shooting quarter in the fourth, ending at 53.3 percent overall (8-15) while going 2-5 from 3-point range (40.0).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ashland .500 (31-62), Northwood .411 (23-56)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ashland .278 (5-18), Northwood .375 (6-16)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ashland .667 (14-21), Northwood .750 (6-8)
- REBOUNDS: Ashland 36 (12 offensive), Northwood 32 (10 offensive)
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Ashland 48, Northwood 24
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Ashland 33, Northwood 13
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Ashland 18, Northwood 13
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Ashland 15, Northwood 4
- BENCH POINTS: Ashland 17, Northwood 13
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Hunter Viitala: 18 points (career-high), 7-11 from the floor, 2-4 from 3-point range.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Wayne State Saturday (January 25). Game time is set for 1 p.m.