OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 48, Northern Michigan 40
RECORDS: Northwood (6-15, 4-9 GLIAC), Northern Michigan (10-11, 7-6 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood women's basketball finishes 2-0 week with 48-40 win over Northern Michigan Saturday afternoon (February 1).
- The Wildcats led for the opening five minutes of the game, leading 9-6 at the five minute mark.
- Northwood came back to go up 11-9, but NMU scored the final four points of the quarter to hold a 13-11 edge after one.
- Northern Michigan ended the opening quarter at 38.5 percent overall (5-13) while going 3-3 from the foul line.
- Northwood went 5-15 overall (33.3 percent) while making 1-5 from beyond the arc (20.0 percent).
- The Timberwolves scored the first eight points of the second quarter to go up 19-13.
- NMU responded, putting up 10 of the next 12 to go on top 23-21.
- Northwood netted the final basket of the half to lead 24-23 at the break.
- Northwood went just 4-14 from the floor overall (28.6 percent) but did connect on 3-8 from 3-point range (37.5 percent).
- NMU had a high percentage in the quarter, making 5-9 from the floor (55.5 percent). Six turnovers in the quarter limited the Wildcats to 10 points.
- The third quarter proved to be the key stretch of the contest, as a hot Timberwolves start pushed the advantage into double figures.
- Northwood scored the first 10 points of the third and held the Wildcats off the board in the opening 6:36 of the half, allowing NU to go up 34-23.
- The Wildcats cut the lead to seven (37-30) before a late triple by Northwood made the score 40-30 heading to the fourth.
- Northwood had its best shooting quarter of the day in the third, going 6-12 overall (50.0 percent) and 4-6 from 3-point range (66.7 percent).
- Northern Michigan struggled in the third, going 2-10 from the floor (20.0 percent).
- Northwood maintained their edge throughout the fourth, with the lead staying between seven and 11 points.
- NMU cut the lead to 45-38 with 5:59 remaining but were held off the scoreboard over the next 5:35.
- Neither team shot well in the fourth – NMU ended at the fourth 4-14 overall (28.6 percent).
- Northwood went 3-13 from the floor (23.1 percent) while going 2-5 from beyond the arc.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .348 (16-46), Northwood .333 (18-54)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .000 (0-8), Northwood .417 (10-24)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .889 (8-9), Northwood .333 (2-3)
- REBOUNDS: Northern Michigan 37 (Six offensive), Northwood 32 (Eight offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 6/14, Northwood 14/8
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Northern Michigan 24, Northwood 12
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 0, Northwood 15
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Northern Michigan 8, Northwood 5
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Northern Michigan 0, Northwood 3
- BENCH POINTS: Northern Michigan 3, Northwood 35
- Northwood's bench was the key to the win – they scored 35 of NU's 48 points in the game. The reserves went 13-21 from the floor (61.9 percent), compared to the starters at 5-33 (15.1 percent).
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Adele Kemp: 17 points (career-high), 6-8 from the floor, 5-7 from 3-point range
- Makenzie Todd: 10 points, 3-5 from 3-point range
- Jayla Strickland: Eight points, 4-6 from the floor
- The Timberwolves will travel to Lak Superior State Thursday (February 6). Game time is set for 5:30 p.m.