OVERVIEW – FERRIS STATE
SCORE: Ferris State Bulldogs 67, Northwood Timberwolves 66
RECORDS: Northwood (7-16, 5-10 GLIAC), Ferris State (16-7, 10-5 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Wink Gymnasium – Big Rapids, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood women's basketball rallies back from halftime deficit before dropping tough 67-66 contest at Ferris State Saturday afternoon (February 8).
- The Bulldogs got off to a great start in the contest, scoring 14 of the first 16 points of the game in the opening 5:32.
- NU got better as the quarter went on but still trailed 20-11 after one.
- The Timberwolves went 5-14 from the floor in the first (35.7 percent) but was just 1-6 from 3-point range (16.7 percent).
- Ferris State came out hot, going 8-12 from the floor (66.7 percent) and 4-5 from the foul line (80.0 percent).
- NU got the lead down to four (24-20) early in the second before FSU finished with another push.
- The Bulldogs scored 11 of the next 13 and eventually led 35-24 at the break.
- Northwood went 6-18 overall in the second (33.3 percent) while going 1-7 from beyond the arc (14.3 percent).
- FSU fell back to 37.5 percent in the second (6-16) overall.
- After struggling in the first half, the Northwood offense broke out in the third quarter.
- NU scored 24 points in the first two quarters before scoring 25 alone in the third.
- That allowed the Timberwolves to finish with a 25-13 edge in the quarter, giving them a 49-48 lead heading to the fourth.
- The Timberwolves' offense came alive in the third, going 8-12 overall (66.7 percent), 2-4 from 3-point range (50.0 percent) and 7-9 from the foul line (77.8 percent).
- FSU was 6-14 from the floor (42.9 percent) while making their only free throw attempt.
- The Timberwolves led the majority of the fourth and were up 58-53 with under five minutes to go.
- FSU finished the game strong, however, scoring 13 of the next 15 points to go up 66-60.
- A Northwood 3-pointer at the buzzer cut the final margin down to one.
- NU went 6-16 in the fourth (37.5 percent) but did connect on 4-9 from 3-point range (44.4 percent).
- The Bulldogs were 4-12 from the floor in the final quarter (33.3 percent).
- The foul line in the fourth was the key to the win, as FSU out-scored Northwood 10-1 at the line in the final 10 minutes.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .444 (24-54), Northwood .417 (25-60)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .133 (2-15), Northwood .308 (8-26)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .850 (17-20), Northwood .727 (8-11)
- REBOUNDS: Ferris State 34 (Eight offensive), Northwood 35 (10 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Ferris State 17/15, Northwood 16/16
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Ferris State 38, Northwood 28
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Ferris State 18, Northwood 7
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Ferris State 9, Northwood 8
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Ferris State 10, Northwood 8
- BENCH POINTS: Ferris State 3, Northwood 34
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Makenzie Todd: 16 points (all in the second half), four 3-pointers
- Ellie Taylor: 12 points, five rebounds, three assists
- The Timberwolves will travel to Davenport Thursday (February 13). Game time is set for 5:30 p.m.