OVERVIEW – #6 GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORE: No. 6 Grand Valley State Lakers 67, Northwood Timberwolves 51
RECORDS: Northwood (8-17, 6-11 GLIAC), Grand Valley State (23-2, 15-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: No. 6 Grand Valley State broke open a close game with a strong second half to defeat Northwood women's basketball Saturday evening (February 15).
- GVSU got off to a good start, scoring the opening eight points of the while holding NU scoreless until the 3:24 mark.
- Northwood got better as the quarter went on, eventually cutting the lead to 13-8 after one.
- Both teams struggled shooting in the opening 10 minutes – GVSU ended at 28.6 percent (4-14) while Northwood was 3-17 (17.6 percent)
- NU did make a pair of 3-pointers to zero for the Lakers.
- The Lakers extended their lead to 19-10 before the Timberwolves finished the second strong.
- Northwood scored eight straight points to get within one at 19-18.
- GVSU eventually led 25-22 at the break.
- NU had a better field goal percentage in the second, going 6-18 overall (33.3 percent) while making 2-5 from beyond the arc (40.0 percent).
- Grand Valley State ended the second at 27.8 percent (5-18) overall and 2-6 from 3-point range (33.3 percent).
- After struggling in the first half, GVSU got rolling offensively in the third.
- GVSU scored 14 of the first 17 points of the third to go up 39-24.
- The Lakers led by as 16 before taking a 47-33 lead to the fourth quarter.
- Grand Valley State also picked up their offense in the quarter and eventually took a 51-48 lead into the fourth.
- The Lakers jumped up to 64.3 percent in the quarter, making 9-14 overall.
- Northwood was 4-15 overall (26.7 percent).
- The Lakers maintained control in the fourth, leading by as many as 21.
- A late push by Northwood got them within 14 before falling by 16.
- NU got better from the floor in the fourth, finishing at 47.1 percent (8-17).
- GVSU continued their big second half on the offensive side of the floor, finishing at 58.3 percent (7-12).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .431 (25-58), Northwood .313 (21-67)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .294 (5-17), Northwood .250 (6-24)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .706 (12-17), Northwood .375 (3-8)
- REBOUNDS: Grand Valley State 49 (13 offensive), Northwood 35 (13 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 11/7, Northwood 8/4
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Grand Valley State 38, Northwood 30
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 2, Northwood 7
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Grand Valley State 8, Northwood 12
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Grand Valley State 14, Northwood 10
- BENCH POINTS: Grand Valley State 7, Northwood 15
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- The Timberwolves will host Wayne State Thursday night (February 20). Game time is set for 6 p.m.