OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: Wayne State Warriors 77, Northwood Timberwolves 69
RECORDS: Northwood (3-2, 3-2 GLIAC), Wayne State (4-1, 4-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Matthaei Center – Detroit, Mich.
RECAP: Wayne State uses big second half rally to defeat Northwood women's basketball 77-69 Friday night (January 22).
- Wayne State scored seven of the first 10 points before Northwood rallied back.
- The Timberwolves took their first lead of the day at 11-10. They led by as many eight in the quarter before settling for a 19-13 lead after one.
- NU was 7-18 overall (38.9 percent) but did go 3-6 from 3-point range (50.0 percent).
- WSU shot 33.3 percent overall (5-15) and from 3-point range (1-3).
- Northwood led 25-19 with less than six minutes remaining the half before another push from the Timberwolves.
- The Timberwolves scored 16 of the final 21 points of the half to take their biggest lead of the opening 20 minutes at 41-24.
- Northwood had a strong shooting second quarter, going 9-17 overall (52.9 percent) and 3-6 from 3-point range (50.0 percent).
- The Warriors were 5-12 overall (41.7 percent) and 0-4 from beyond the arc.
- Northwood scored the first two points of the second half to make it a 19 point lead (43-24) when the Warriors took over.
- Wayne State scored 27 of the next 34 points to get within one at 51-50.
- NU's lead eventually stood at 56-53 heading to the fourth.
- Northwood was 5-13 overall (38.5 percent) and 1-5 from 3-point range in the quarter.
- WSU shot 44.4 percent in the quarter (11-25) overall while going 2-4 from 3-point range (50.0 percent) and 5-5 from the foul line.
- Offensive rebounds were the major factor in the quarter for the Warriors, as they held a 10-1 edge in the third. That allowed Wayne State to get off 12 more field goal attempts than the Timberwolves. WS also out-scored Northwood 9-0 in the quarter in second chance points.
- Wayne State tied the score at 61-61 less than three minutes into the fourth and took their first lead since the opening quarter at 64-63 at the 6:15 mark.
- Northwood trailed 72-69 and had the ball with less than a minute to go but were unable to score any more points the remainder of the way.
- WSU scored the final five points of the game to close out the comeback win.
- Wayne State used hot shooting in the fourth to earn the win, going 7-12 overall (58.3 percent) and 9-11 from the foul line (81.8 percent).
- Northwood got off nine more field goal attempts in the fourth (21-12), but the Timberwolves were just 6-21 overall (28.6 percent) and 1-6 from 3-point range (16.7 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .438 (28-64), Northwood .391 (27-69)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .308 (4-13), Northwood .348 (8-23)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .850 (17-20), Northwood .700 (7-10)
- REBOUNDS: Wayne State 49 (14 offensive), Northwood 31 (Eight offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Wayne State 8/14, Northwood 15/7
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Wayne State 38, Northwood 32
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Wayne State 8, Northwood 17
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Wayne State 15, Northwood 8
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Wayne State 12, Northwood 17
- BENCH POINTS: Wayne State 30, Northwood 40
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Makenzie Todd: 13 points, 3-4 from 3-point range
- Jayla Strickland/Maizie Taylor/Kenzie Seeley: 10 points each
- The Timberwolves and Wayne State will finish their weekend series Saturday (January 23). Game time is set for 2 p.m.