OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 78, Wayne State Warriors 63
RECORDS: Northwood (4-2, 4-2 GLIAC), Wayne State (4-2, 4-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Matthaei Center – Detroit, Mich.
RECAP: Women's Basketball bounces back with 78-63 road win at Wayne State Saturday afternoon (January 23).
- Both offenses came out fast in the opening quarter.
- WSU scored eight straight points to go up 17-9 with under four minutes remaining in the quarter.
- Northwood cut the lead back to four before the Warriors ended the first quarter with a 26-20 lead.
- Wayne State shot a blistering 63.2 percent from the floor overall (12-19) while going 1-3 from 3-point range and making their lone free throw attempt.
- Northwood ended the quarter 8-20 overall (40.0 percent) and 2-4 from 3-point range (50.0 percent). The Timberwolves were 2-2 from the foul line.
- Northwood controlled the play in the opening five minutes of the second quarter, out-scoring Wayne State 18-5 to take a 38-31 lead.
- The Timberwolves led by as many as eight in the quarter before an 8-2 push for WSU at the end of the half made the Northwood lead 45-43 at halftime.
- Northwood had an excellent quarter offensively in the second, going 11-18 overall (61.1 percent) and 3-6 from 3-point range (50.0 percent).
- The Warriors were 6-15 overall (40.0 percent) and 2-5 from beyond the arc (40.0 percent).
- The Timberwolves made a push early in the third quarter, going up 57-47 with under four minutes remaining.
- Wayne State cut the lead down to five before Northwood finished the quarter strong to lead 66-55 heading to the fourth.
- Northwood continued their strong offense in the third, going 9-15 overall (60.0 percent)
- WSU fell back to 31.3 percent (5-16) in the third.
- Playing their second game in two days, the two offenses showed signs of fatigue in the fourth quarter.
- WSU scored the first five points of the final quarter, but it took nearly five minutes for that run to occur.
- The Timberwolves were the better team the remainder of the way, out-scoring Wayne Stat 12-3 over the final 5:06 to earn the win.
- Northwood was 3-14 in the final quarter from the floor (21.4 percent). NU was 1-8 from 3-point range (12.5 percent) and 5-8 from the foul line (62.5 percent).
- Wayne State shot 15.4 percent in the fourth (2-13) while going 1-6 from beyond the arc (16.7 percent) and 3-4 on free throws (75.0 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .397 (25-63), Northwood .463 (31-67)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .294 (5-17), Northwood .318 (7-22)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .727 (8-11), Northwood .643 (9-14)
- REBOUNDS: Wayne State 38 (12 offensive), Northwood 38 (12 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Wayne State 13/15, Northwood 13/8
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Wayne State 40, Northwood 42
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Wayne State 7, Northwood 19
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Wayne State 8, Northwood 14
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Wayne State 7, Northwood 7
- BENCH POINTS: Wayne State 21, Northwood 47
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Maizie Taylor: 16 points, 6-11 from the floor, 2-4 from 3-point range, four rebounds, four assists
- Alana Nelson 14 points (career-high), 6-7 from the floor, six rebounds
- Makenzie Todd: 13 points
- Brooke Ditto: 12 points, six rebounds, five blocks
- The Timberwolves will host rival Saginaw Valley Tuesday night (January 26). Game time is set for 6 p.m.